Home Phone Wiring Repair

Page 3 of 5
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 2:30:59 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

o replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at o nce? Could a surge go through the

ring machine untouched? I don't think so.

line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two m aroon solenoids on the sides with

ncoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

home

I just ran the test by connecting the incoming wires ONLY to the 4 prong ja ck, red and green wires, then plugged in the rj11 jack and the phone by rj1 1 cord. No dial tone, no lights, D.E.A.D. So it's not my problem. It could be strike related, I might wait until the strike is over and see what happe ns. My diagnostic work is done. Thanks and kudos to all. THIS is tech suppo rt!

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the outside of your house.
Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).
No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your problem.
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Also called an NID (network interface device) or a PA (point-of-access).

"user-accessible" side requires a flat-blade screwdriver to open. The carrier's side (yer ISP) requires a security TORX driver.

Gee, I've been saying the same thing, all morning. ;)
nb
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 6:56:53 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and there is no NID.

I guess you missed the part where I keep referring to the point of demarcation or PA (point-of-access) cuz the OP sed he doesn't have an NID. Duh.
nb
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:09:13 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

I guess you missed the part where in his very first post it was clear to everyone but you that the OP was essentially there. He said he was testing at the wire where it enters the building. And they don't put a big flag, a sign, or any other marking on the wiring going into his old house that says "DEMARCATION HERE".
He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone. Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.
On 4/28/2016 7:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I guess everyone missed every thing about this thread.
But, it did light up the board for a while.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/28/2016 06:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

IF the test was done with the house wiring disconnected, to make sure it isn't causing the problem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

The OP is long gone. He has figured out it is not his problem. The DSL works and there is no dial tone at that spot. That means the wiring is working. If it was shorted, it would ring busy and if it was open, the DSL would not work.
He is where Verison is on strike so I suspect those good old boy, union workers, sabotaged the CO on their way out. Management or the scabs should be able to fix the problem tho. These days it might just be a keyboard trick.
[snip]

I suggested a PARTIAL short or open, that passes some frequencies but not others. It responds differently to phone (up to about 3KHz) and DSL (10KHz and up).

That sounds likely.
BTW, I had Verizon phone for a few years, then switched to cable (Suddenlink) because of the consistently poor quality lines.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

POTS is a pretty robust technology. A partial short will put a hum on the line or take it off hook, depending on how "short" it is. If it is off hook, it will show busy when you call. He said it has a ring tone.

And generally NOT on the outside of the house adoung here. Usually in (a) the basement (B) the garage, or (c) the "service closet" where the electrical service etc enters the home
This MAY vary by location - being outside on the service post in trailer parks etc.

well verizon should install a NID for free.......
EXCEPT if your in a FIOS served area..
My great aunts phone quit working so I went over to take a look.
NO NID:( phone line dead.
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.
the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.
my aunt had no interest in fios anything.
So i told the tech no problem she doesnt want FIOS. since I had a 3 month misery trying to get mine working. I KID YOU NOT IT WAS FINALLY TRACED TO A BAD ROUTER IN THE CO.
I said please just replace the copper drop. he reported he isnt allowed to do that.......
he got on the phone and argued with his boss who said FIOS only.
I got on the phone with the techs boss, I said please give me your name or ID number, teresa is going to straightalk today but we will send the president of verizon your name and id. so management knows why you lost another customer.....
the replacement copper line was replaced, and her phone is still working fine, years later.
verizon road techs are awesome, their phone support sucks.
i had so much fios hassles i demanded they remove my unused copper drop and all the fios garbage. they refused so i threatened to put a large banner in my yard VERIZON FIOS SUCKS.
They removed everything
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion, you're an idiot!
FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.
On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was not wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has had a change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH.

I talked to my company, Century Link and they have no immediate plans to put FiOS in my area. They tuned up the copper and put more DSL hubs in so we are getting 10 meg and they sell it as TV and Internet along with POTS. I think they can double up on the copper and get it up to 20 meg.
On 04/28/2016 11:09 PM, sms wrote:

ATT just finished "upgrading" (haha) our area to 6Mb/1Mb U-Verse. The fact that they bought Directv says they know their own network capacity sucks and can't handle TV/video.
Thankfully I live in Comcast country and can get their 120Mb/20Mb service.
On 4/29/2016 1:42 AM, GOWGN wrote:

In my neighborhood, AT&T offers 1Gb/s service for $70 per month, if you agree to let them spy on you. That includes the modem and no charge for installation.

Comcast just ran fiber to the pole in my neighborhood, but the drop from the fiber hub to the house is still coax. They say that they will be offering 1Gb/s service as well. For now, they have reduced their offerings to either 25Mb/s (1 channel) or 100Mb/s (four channels), but it's really about 30Mb/s or 120Mb/s. I had two-channel 50Mb/s which was really about 59Mb/s.
I can't see paying for 1Gb/s service since there's really no upside. Even 50Mb/s is more than most any house needs unless you're watching multiple 4K video streams.
On 04/29/2016 08:36 AM, sms wrote:
[snip]

I saw one ad (for 1Gb/s internet) that said you could download a movie in less than a minute. Maybe some people are in that much of a hurry to watch a movie.
Lat year, I got a cable internet upgrade from 15Mb/s to 50Mb/s, requiring a new modem (considering that a TV channel is limited to somewhere around 36Kb/s, and I needed DOCSIS3, which can use more than one channel). They have higher speeds, but 50Mb/s still seems fast.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 9:01:47 PM UTC-4, Buster wrote:

well lets see. you have a noisey phone line for many months. When I called verizon their reps ALL said its your interior wiring. Even after 3 techs visited and reported reproduced problem with home totally disconnected.
after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.
I still had my business line on copper. a outgoing call package cost 35 bucks a months. so i called to cancel the outgoing call package since i was making all calls with my cell phone
THEY CANCELLED MY BUSINESS LINE TWICE! My sole income:(
the first time they fixed in in just a hour/////
The second time it took 4 days to get it fixed again:(
the phone techs you call werre abusive and not helpful. Go thru all those automated attendants to finally get thru but get this message:(
all reps are busy now please try your call again goodbye. system hangs up on customer
verixon deserves no customers