Home Inspection Nightmares

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,1548031,00.html?xid=cnn-0807-nightmares-2?CNN=YES
Some don't seem so nightmarish, such as using a chair to hold up an AC duct or dowel rods used as plugs in sewer pipe.
And, some of the comments take a swipe at the present administration(!) - but you kind of expect that from viewers of PBS...
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,1548031,00.html?xid=cnn-0807-nightmares-2?CNN=YES
Yea, a few are just plain stupid, such as the plastic bag in the electrical panel. Whoop dee friggin' doo, some stray plastic in an otherwise fine panel. Looks like a Square D QO panel, a very good one, other work in the panel looks reasonable. Exactly what hazard is this nightmarish plastic bag presenting??? On the other hand, with the first panel shown, the crispy rat is the least of the problems and that POS panel should be replaced yesterday or sooner.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,1548031,00.html?xid=cnn-0807-nightmares-2?CNN=YES
I want to know the explanation for this one:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20048783,00.html
Rob

While it seem laughable, it is just a 12 x 12 that has not been finished yet.
trainfan1 wrote:

Animal abuse.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Home inspection nightmares. My mom died and I had her home fixed up nice, including adding a french drain with sump pump in the garage.
the first buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for lack of GFCI, but the sale fell thru. So I installed a GFCI to make the next sale trouble free....
the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a GFCI:( said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump:(
I could not win.......
I hear you. Can't win. Same issue has been discussed, regarding refrigerators, freezers. No GFCI so you don't lose food.
Home inspection nightmares. My mom died and I had her home fixed up nice, including adding a french drain with sump pump in the garage.
the first buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for lack of GFCI, but the sale fell thru. So I installed a GFCI to make the next sale trouble free....
the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a GFCI:( said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump:(
I could not win.......
Per bob haller:

Can anybody explain?
Not knowing anything at all, I'd think GFCI would be an unmitigated plus/safety factor on any circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell

GFCIs werent required in garages just living areas. this according to the middle states inspector who came out to reinspect the main service the home inspector flagged the main service because the signature of the original inspector had faded. you could see it had been signed but werent able to read the name clearly
a nuisance trip of a sump pumps GFCI could cause the basement to flood...
and normally with the pump submeged down the hole and sumps being plastic there shouldnt be a shock hazard....
On 12/8/2012 5:36 PM, bob haller wrote:

I'm in the process right now of working up a price for an elderly customer who wants an emergency sump pump. I've had to repair her furnace due to flooding of her basement even though me and a friend had pumped out her basement before and installed a new pump and pipe, the power failed during a heavy thunderstorm and the new pump couldn't work. I going to go with a medium priced water powered backup pump and install a sump pump failure alarm. I've seen a wide variation in prices for water powered backup pumps that run on city water. ^_^
TDD
On Dec 9, 2:03am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

if the home happens to sit above the level of the surrounding ground, where a drain line from the sump could reach daylight somewhere in the yard, perhaps the street.
such a drain line will require some excavating but is way more reliable than any pump. gravity tends to always work and theres no batteries to replace and no pump to service.....
city water can be lost in a real emergency. its happended around here....
On 12/9/2012 10:14 AM, bob haller wrote:

I've never had city water fail here in Birmingham even during the blizzard of 93 and the worst power outages. The location of Ms. W's house is on a hill but the cost of excavating a gravity drain would be cost prohibitive. I do agree with you about the reliability of the drain and I would certainly install such if I was building a home. Our family home on the farm built into the side of a mountain slope has tile drain pipe in gravel all the way around the base of the foundation with the pipe exiting at the lowest point on either side of the house. I don't recall water ever getting into the basement when I was growing up. ^_^
TDD
If the GFCI trips, you might not notice it until there is a foot of water in your cellar.
Or, until your freezer is thawed, and you lost all your food. Freezers are the other moment not to use GFCI.
Per bob haller:

Can anybody explain?
Not knowing anything at all, I'd think GFCI would be an unmitigated plus/safety factor on any circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 00:28:59 -0800 (PST), harry

Quit your bitching, asshole. If it wasn't for us you would be speaking German now.
On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:26:17 -0600, Gordon Shumway

Probably Russian.