home cheapo question....

Why can I go to home shithole and purchase a fairly decent selection of stainless steel machine screws but cant buy nuts and washers for them ???

My local home depot carries a fairly decent...well....an OK selection of stainless stell machine screws but they dont stock washers or nuts.

Sounds like a gubberment run organization to me.

Reply to
cornytheclown

I've been going to my local marine store (Boat US or West Marine) for stainless for years. Lots cheaper than HD and a much much better selection.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

i stayed in home depot for about three hours one NIGHT looking for one

8 mm nut.. kept finding one, but not the correct thread.... then next day (morning) i went to the local ACE Hardware Store and got one for about 10 cents.. it was not stainless, but i did not need stainless, they also have all the stainless stuff also(bought it when the pool ladder needed some new screws..... and each time i was in ACE the worker found what i needed in less then a minute... no walking around looking for a clerk... they meet you at the door..
Reply to
jim

Works for me, too. Our local True Value has a decent selection of SS, but the Ace hardware is better. Lowe's is rather limited. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I second the recommendation on Ace. At least by me that section is run by "hillman fasteners" who send someone out weekly to restock.

Reply to
John Hines

I'll put in another vote for Ace Hardware for SS bolts, nuts, washers. Probably for brass fittings too.

One reason Builder's Square went down the tubes is because they seemed to concentrate on large items and failed to have any of the small parts needed to go with them. In my case I was usually looking for flare fittings, brass bushings or nipples, etc. which they never had.

Reply to
David Efflandt

if you have an industrial hardware store handy you'd save about a lot more

Reply to
Longshot

Builders Square went out because of mismanagement and it's parent company, KMart, siphoning off profit.

Reply to
Ron

is that like the "hillman morning" show on WAAF WITH THE MANTOWN CALENDAR.

Glenn

Reply to
davefr