Higher SEER = More Problems? Worth it?

Page 2 of 2

Then of course there's the Bad Boys:
http://i48.tinypic.com/iz9t05.jpg
Left to right:
You know who you are!

Don't forget Grandma! http://tinyurl.com/y8zpdp6
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 03:30:24 +0000, jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm
Thanks to the illegitimate president we now have you can look forward to even larger increases in the near future.
Supposing he'd been a US born natural Democrat. Would that make anyone feel better?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Our very first Affirmative Action President? We hope to have some change left after he's gone.
TDD

Thats because the AVERAGE contractor has no damn clue about higher SEER units, and the extra control board scares the hell out of the uneducated. Instead of 5 or 6 wires to the outside unit, its now got suddenly 10 or 12 and they are panicked...OMG..where does this one go? Talking heat pump there.. On straight AC, instead of just the two control wires, now its got 6...and its soooooooo complicated.... Of course, with proper training, and proper install practice, they are now, to some of us..as simple as the old ones, and we are NOT seeing any issues with the 16, and 18 SEER units.
AS far as the money savings goes, its like when fuel goes up an extra penny, and some fool drives all over town to save 10 cents on a fill up, but yet, he spends a buck in gas looking for the cheap stuff, or the neighbor up the road that was only getting 15MPG in his paid for fairly new SUV but goes out and spends 30 grand on a car that wont even get twice that, but it looked good on paper. And the fuel savings sure wont justify the new car payment.
And then there is the contractor that is scared of the new refrigerant. OF COURSE its bad..LOL...of course its gonna fail sooner..of COURSE hes got to get new training and tools, and its not cheap.
You have some contractors that are so scared of the new stuff, that they price it so far out of the ballpark, that you dont want it..There is a company here that flat out refuses to install R410a equipment as long as he can get R22 units. Thats great..whatever floats his boat. He has effectively cut his market by more than half, and of course hes not gonna get the proper training that a legitimate contractor was getting 3 years ago to get ready for the fact that R22 is a dinasaur. Its times up..in 4 years, its not even going to be made in the US. Why not go on and learn your future now, than to wait and allow it to bite you when everyone else that had a clue went on, started training, and is now confident with the new tech?
Screw Consumer Reports..never seen a single report in there that was applicable to anything I owned. Product X, bad..according to them, yet no one I knew or if I owned it, gave a moments problem. You know with CR its about money right?
Look at your options. Run your numbers for your location. I would suggest planning for energy costs to double at LEAST within the next 10 years.

As I said once before SEER is more for manufacturing gain then it is for consumer, however every body got they own opinion Few years ago when solar panels came out it was thing of future Yes there is some benefits in some area but does the consumer actually benefit from it or just break even? can you actually take anybody word for it like contractor who is making living on it or some one who made full of him self by installing some thing that barely got savings from it to pay for maintenance or manufacture who is trying to benefit from it. I am sorry but you are the one who must decide and pay for it Good Luck from Dido

jzjz had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm :
RAJ wrote:

-------------------------------------
I think this is their speculation and have nothing to base it on since the other units are so new. Also money is being lost ever month on 11 SEER untis due to the inefficiency. It depends on what their original bills are like. I've noticed a lot of contractors are LIARS and are always protecting THEIR interests. If it means more training or a complex unit, they tend to advise against that for their own selfish reasons. This fogs the issue some.
jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm
Hi, A contractor who doesn't keep up with hi-tech. stuffs with ongoing proper training won't really understand what they are dealing with. Like automotive mechanic who does not understand basic electronics. When I had my a/c unit installed I wanted to have wireless thermostat. The guy did an excellent install job but had no clue about wireless stuffs. At least he was honest to tell me that. I installed 'stat and sort of gave him a quick run down. Of course complex equipment needs more maintenance for sure. Without proper knowledge/experience dealing with complexity it can get messy. My unit is SEER 15. I need cooling barely 2 months a year.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm PopeyeTheSailor wrote: NORDYNE IQ DRIVE (AKA MAYTAG, FRIGIDAIRE, WESTINGHOUSE) 23 SEER A/C UNITS
I have owned this Maytag 23 SEER IQ Drive equipment from Nordyne (both a 3 ton & a 2 ton unit)since April 2009. I replaced two old, inefficient systems in their entirety. I paid top dollar for this high efficiency equipment and boy was I taken! Lots of service calls (more in 1 year than in the 11 years I owned the older units); high humidity inside the house (a new problem that started with the install of this equipment); noisy fans that wake me up when the units shut down at night; no improvement in energy efficiency at all (I have to keep the house 4 degrees cooler than with the old equipment to keep from sweating, due to the high humidity); equipment is sensitive to power fluctuations (computer brain flips out every time there is a switching transient from the power company and must be reset); and the list just goes on and on. I would NOT recommend purchasing this product. A Trane 2 Stage system would likely be a much better investment (note: I have never owned Trane equipment and I don't know anyone who works for Trane - it just happens to be the alternative I investigated before deciding to buy the IQ Drive.)
RAJ wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm
That is with any piece of equipment, more things on it more problems can be expected that is no option. it does not matters high or low efficiency more sophistication more problems just like your car.