High electricity usage in office!

Page 2 of 2

I moved into a new 4-office building once and the meters were switched around on everyone's bill. I got billed for the much bigger space next to me until I figured this out. Trace your wires. Shut everything off and see if "your" meter still spins.

<snip>
First, I'd talk to some other tenants in the complex of offices and find out what their bills are running,
Second, turn off or unplug would be better, everything (includes unplugging electric clocks). Wait for a couple minutes and check your meter to see if it is turning.
Third, Talk to power company and landlord again and if that us still unsatisfactory, then I'd talk to the city (don't know your city departments) and to your states utility commission.
Bob-tx
Bob wrote:

First, turn off your main breakers and see who squeals.

It may also be a good idea to leave the breaker off a couple of nights, just in case something is happening after hours.
Not mentioned is reading the meter itself. I'd read it every few days and track the usage according to the meter. Check the billing/reading also. Many commercial and industrial readings have multipliers for the particular meter. IOW, you read the meter and from the start to present it indicates a use of 100. There may be written on the meter a multiplier of say 10, 35, 70, etc and that 100 becomes 1000, or 3500, etc.
I've had numerous situations with incorrect readings for electric, gas, water that amounted to thousands of dollars (in both directions) because of errors in reading, missing a decimal point on a digital meter (shocking when you get a $6000 bill instead of a $600 one)
Also, I just checked my home bill and last month is was 618kW and I run a lot more "stuff" than the op has in his office. two computers for 12 hours a day, TV, reading lights, two refrigerators, one freezer a few night lights, etc.
gee, I've heard that before somewhere.....
--
Steve Barker

"CJT" < snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net> wrote in message
years ago I installed a outside outlet then found my neighbor would plug in our house outlet rather than drop a extension cord thru his window.
So I added a master off switch inside our kitchen.
One day my neighbor knocked on the door, and asked my grandma to turn on the power. she said sorry I dont know where the switch is, while she stood right next to it...:)
That swich has been very useful for stuff like christmas lights.
I didnt mind the few pennies of power he was using, it was the principle of the thing...

Too much trouble, and *much* too kind. I would have gotten my axe out of the shed, and severed the extension cord at the property line.
--
Regards,
Does your rent include hot water? Your energy usage sounds like an electric water heater. Go look at your breaker box.

It is possible that other tenants circuits are tied to meter. This happens after a building has gone through many remodels over the years. As other have suggested, I would try shutting off some of your circuit breakers and see if someone complains.
Another possibility is that you may have a "Demand" meter. These are different from residential meters. In addition to measuring consumption the demand meter will also record your peak use for the billing period. The power company will then charge you as if you used that peak for the entire billing period. This can make your bill quite high even though your actual consumption may be low. If you know where your electric meter is, go and take a look at it. There may be an extra needle in the center.
On Jun 7, 5:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I want to thank everyone who helped out. I am sorry this is a little late but sadly, I forgot my Gmail password and I just had it reset.
Anyways, I am glade to say that we got to the bottom of this; one of the other offices' heat and/or AC was running off our meter!!! The landlord got that taking care of and I just got June's bill, it was $35. We are still discussing how much they are paying me back for the last three months of AC usage if any but I am not very concerned with that. Again, thank you all and GOD bless.

Thanks for finishing the story and glad it worked out!
I think to be fair they owe you some bucks!
If you would like to save alittle more money we sell a control that works with your thermostat but the company has a contest going on and cost nothing to enter.
Go to www.ThermoRider.com
-- Moe Jones HVAC Service Technician Energy Equalizers Inc. Houston, Texas www.EnergyEqualizers.com
wrote:<BR>&gt; Just rented this office space 2 months ago. It is a new business so I<BR>&gt; don't really have much here that draws electricity yet. I have a PC/<BR>&gt; modem/router, mini 1.7 Cu. Ft fridge, and 3 40W fluorescent lights.<BR>&gt; The pc is on for 6 hours, 4 days a week. The fridge is obliviously on<BR>&gt; 24/7. the lights are hardly use.&nbsp; Did not use the heat but it is gas<BR>&gt; anyway, the AC is still off, no need for it yet.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; My March bill stated that I used 700KWH, April was 710KWH and May was<BR>&gt; again, 708KWH. This is more than what I am using in my house! I called<BR>&gt; the electric company and they said they'll send some one to read the<BR>&gt; meter and I should call back in few days. I called back and they said<BR>&gt; everything looks OK and nothing more is to be done. They were terrible<BR>&gt; on the phone, extremely rude and they basically said, go F yourself.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I bought a kill-a-watt and according to it; the fridge is using 22KWH/<BR>&gt; month, the PC is using 1.4KWH in the 6 hours it is on daily. That adds<BR>&gt; up to about 42KWH assuming 30 days usage. The light are hardly used<BR>&gt; but I'll give it another 20KWH.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; All this adds up to 84KWH and I am paying for 700KWH. What is going<BR>&gt; on? The electricity company is no mood of helping and the last time I<BR>&gt; talked to a supervisor he told me, "if you don't like our service you<BR>&gt; can go somewhere else"!!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I talked to the landlord and I told him if this is not taken care of<BR>&gt; soon, I am moving out! is there something I am missing here? What<BR>&gt; would you do? TIA and hope someone has some pointers.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; BTW, I am in Toledo, OH and my "shitty" electric is Toledo Edison.<BR><BR>I want to thank everyone who helped out. I am sorry this is a little<BR>late but sadly, I forgot my Gmail password and I just had it reset.<BR><BR>Anyways, I am glade to say that we got to the bottom of this; one of<BR>the other offices' heat and/or AC was running off our meter!!! The<BR>landlord got that taking care of and I just got June's bill, it was<BR>$35. We are still discussing how much they are paying me back for the<BR>last three months of AC usage if any but I am not very concerned with<BR>that. Again, thank you all and GOD bless.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Go away. Anyone who posts commericals where they aren't permitted, can't be trusted.