Hidden Header

We are renovating our house and want to move the header in a 6' opening on the first floor. I have heard about hiding the header in the ceiling. I got an estimate for doing the job for $2000 - not sure if good estimate or if this is a safe procedure. Thanks
Steve wrote:

When you say "move the header", I'm assuming you intend to have a smooth ceiling rather than a section of wall.
Is the header part of a bearing wall? If it is * not * a bearing wall, the header can be removed without major work. It it is part of a bearing wall, there is a lot of collateral structural work to be considered.
TB
TB, Yes, the header is part of a bearing wall - 6' opening. Understand the collateral support while the work is being done. Do you feel $2000 is a reasonable price. Have a deadline and having difficult time getting other contractors to respond. thanks
Steve wrote:

The price depends on where you live and the competitive environment. If you have only gotten one response and the contractor is qualified (licensed, etc.) then I would say $2000 is cheap, considering you want to move the header and don't have any alternatives.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:59:45 -0500, "Steve"

"reasonable price" isn't a meaningful question, if you can't get anyone else to do it at all. Your choice appears to be limited to (A) Pay the $2000 dollars, or (B) don't do it. How important is this 12" of overhead space to you?
Well now you asked the big question - it is one of esthetics (wife's designer hat) versus my budget hat. Guess I lose. thanks Goedjn