Hey Doug!

I did what you suggested about the faulty Moen shower faucet. I called them up on their 1-800 and described the problem, so they're sending me a new cartridge, a repair kit and the installation tool. Thanks alot!

Guess which faucet you're gonna buy in the future?
"Doug Kanter"> wrote

Inspite of my current good luck in running across you and your suggestion, I can't recommend this particular Moen shower faucet. When I installed it 3 years ago I had difficulty understanding how it works, and I still have issues with it. The handle does not pull out from the wall like most others, it just rotates, and that alone provides the water pressure and the temperature. The more you turn it the hotter it gets. Now, I find out that a special tool is necessary just to get the cartridge out. sheesh I bought the faucet at Lowes but they don't carry the tool.
I have a Price Pfister faucet in the kitchen sink and I replaced that cartridge last year without incident. In fact, the dood at Lowes told me they have a lifetime warranty and he opened another faucet and handed me the cartridge right on the spot.
Seems like faucets are a crap shoot, you can't tell what you'll end up with. But one things for certain, the next time one of my faucets needs repair I'll remember your advice. Thanks again.

Great! Some other customer's going to get a box without a cartridge. You just KNOW the dood at Lowe's went out back to snort a few lines before coming back in and forgetting about replacing the cartridge.

Do what I did: Don't plunk down your money until you open the box and read the instructions.

Good point, knowing what we do about the boxed stuff at the big boxes.
Our 2.5 year old Price Pfister bathroom sink faucet started dripping a couple of months ago. Went to their site and found the model and reported the problem. They mailed a couple of troubleshooting URLs with no suggestions. Short story have received two shipments of parts without instructions that don't seem to fit and repeated mail questions go unanswered. House is on the market and the part envelopes will be passed to new owner.

Well, I just received the overnight package from Moen a few mins ago. So far so good, they did what they said they would. At this point I am out $12 for the overnight shipping.
So I opened the package and there was a Cartridge Repair Kit in there and thats it. No new Cartridge like the foreign speaking girl on the phone said. Hmmm....Lowes had the repair kits but the 2 they had were opened, and they cost $9.45. The saga continues.

What's in the kit? I mean...if it's a repair kit.....????

I'll install it tonight after supper. The kit includes a plastic sleeve, 5 O-rings, and a square plastic part that assists in removing the cartridge from the valve body. I'll post more after I get it done.