Help with VCR remote (Victor model PQ10956)

I've got the subject remote control that came with a JVC HR-D720U VCR. The VCR is long gone, as well as the user's manual. However, I found the remote and would like to program it to use as a remote for a Toshiba TV. It used to control a Panasonic TV as well as the VCR, so it is able to be programmed to operate many popular TV brands. This remote is also compatible with JVC VCR models HR-D1860U, HR-D860U, HR-D870U and HR-D960U.

I've done a lot of web searching, including the JVC web site, looking for a user's manual for any one of the compatible VCRs that used this remote. I also tried to find instructions by searching directly on the remote's model number. I can find the remote still for sale, but not with any instructions.

Can anyone provide the button press sequence to program this remote to operate a non-JVC television? Either a web link or a text description would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Peter

Hi, Did you try replacementremote.com? You may get info on your remote there.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did check that site. They have used, refurbished remotes of that model for sale but nothing I saw in those listings suggested that there were any programming instructions available, either as a stand-alone item or accompanying the remote itself. Peter

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

you might try these instructions for the JVC HR-DD740U. It is quite possibly the same. From:

TV Multi-Brand Remote Control The VCR's remote control can control several functions on JVC remote control TVs and on the brands of remote control TVs listed below. *The default setting is JVC code 01. TURN ON THE TV

1 Turn the power on using the TV's remote control. SET TV BRAND CODE 2 Refer to the chart below. While holding down TV on the VCR's remote control, press MBR SET and enter your TV?s brand code using the NUMBER keys, then press STOP. Follow the example shown below. ? Once you have set the remote control to operate the TV, you don?t have to repeat this step until you replace your remote control?s batteries. ? PANASONIC has two codes. If the TV does not function with one code, try entering the other. OPERATE TV 3 First, while holding down TV, press POWER on the remote to see if the TV?s power goes off as it should. If it does, try other operations. ? The POWER, TV/VCR, CH 5 8, TV VOL +/? and NUMBER keys on the remote can all be used to operate the TV. *For some brands of TV, you must press ENTER after having pressed the NUMBER keys. ? To operate your TV, while holding down TV, press the corresponding button: POWER, TV/VCR, CH 5 8, NUMBER keys (or ENTER). TV VOL +/? can be used without holding down TV. NOTE: Depending on the type of TV, there may be cases where some or all functions cannot be operated using the remote control. TV ENTER TV VOL +/? TV BRAND NAME BRAND CODE JVC 01 MAGNAVOX 02 MITSUBISHI 03 PANASONIC 04, 11 RCA 05 SHARP 06 SONY 07 TOSHIBA 08 ZENITH 09 HITACHI 10 SAMSUNG 12 SANYO 13 SEARS 13
Reply to
Pico Rico

Pico Rico, Thanks for trying to help. That model VCR uses a different remote. The remote I have does not have a MBR SET button (and the layout of the buttons as well as the shape of the remote is quite different). I've guessed at various combinations of other buttons but no luck. It's analogous to trying to open a pushpad combination lock with 20+ buttons. The number of permutations and combinations is too huge to get it right by chance alone unless I devote a huge amt of time to it. If no one can help, I may just give up and buy the least expensive universal remote I can find. Peter

Reply to
Peter

I see that many of the JVC VCR manuals do not have text pertaining to what you are looking for, so perhaps your model did not include this feature either.

Reply to
Pico Rico

I owned the VCR that this remote came with but the VCR died and I threw it out (and must have accidentally thrown out the manual as well - which I cannot find on-line at this time). I had originally programmed the remote to work with a Toshiba TV but after the batteries died, the remote's memory reset to default (JVC TVs). So controlling the TV's on/off, volume, channel, and input selection is an available feature and was functional with this remote. But thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Peter

find a 12 year old kid - he could figure it out!

Reply to
Pico Rico

You might give this a try

Pico Rico

Thanks again Pico Rico. The link you gave provides instructions for a remote that has a selection switch for TV/Cable/VCR. The remote I have does not have such a switch. It is designed to control the VCR it came with and a TV (only). I played with the combination of Power, correct number keys for the Toshiba, and Stop key but nothing worked. I think only the instructions specific for this remote will work.

Reply to
Peter

it is very odd that this is clearly a popular remote, but no instructions are to be found.

Reply to
Pico Rico