Help with mounting wall phone

I have an antique wall phone which has been modified to work with today's modular jacks. Problem is, the phone lacks the mounting hardware on the back which slides over the two slightly protruding screw heads which are found on a standard telephone switchplate, or wall plate. Does anyone know of an online hardware store that carries such a two hole "keyhole" type mount for wall mounting a telephone? I've found single keyhole mounts, but would prefer the type that's specifically made for telephones if they're available.

TIA.

Dan Carlson Wetmore CO

Reply to
Daniel Carlson

One such plate with filter was in the kit that came with my dsl kit from the phone company, ask around I can't imagine many folks use them.

Reply to
beecrofter

Can't you just put two scres in place on the wall with the correct spacing and then slide the wall phone down on the two screws? IIRC, the spacing is 4" between the two screws.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Radio shack, Home Depot, Lowe's.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Hadn't thought of Radio Shack . . . thanks.

I've been to both Home Depot and Lowe's. When I told them what I was looking for, they looked at me like I was from Mars. As is the usual case.

Dan

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Reply to
Daniel Carlson

Thanks for the response.

The hardware on the wall is already in place. What I need is the hardware that goes on the phone. I could use two separate keyhole mounts, but I'd prefer to find a single plate with two keyholes in it. I thought maybe someone manufactures one specifically for this purpose.

Dan

Dan

Reply to
Daniel Carlson

Dan:

I have one of those DSL brackets from my kit when I went to the Verizon system. If you would like it, I would be more than happy to ship to you for free. All I ask ,is if it works that you reimburse the shipping cost from Plano Tx. !

Let me know

One such plate with filter was in the kit that came with my dsl kit from the phone company, ask around I can't imagine many folks use them.

Reply to
Bill Hall

Ma Bell had converter plates for the old rotary wall phones- is this what we are talking about? Made the phone stick out from the wall and was usually wobbly to boot.

Personally, I would take apart the wall jack, and just hard mount the phone directly to wall with the original screw holes on the back plate. Find some way to go from the red and green (or the blue/white and white/blue wires, if modern wire) wires in the wall to L1 and L2 in the phone. You can even float a small modular jack in the wall if you want to stay modular. Most old wall phones, the shell pops right off.

Post a picture of the jack, and the front and back of the phone, and put a link back here. A picture is worth lots of words, etc.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

There's not a lot of call for mounting old hand crank to modern wall jacks. So yes if you walk into a regular store they are going think you are crazy.

I would figure out how to mount the phone on the wall and modify the phone jack to work. Maybe a recessed mount.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I wondered if an old hand crank phone was what the OP has - not obvious to me from the post.

If it is a hand crank phone it may be way too heavy for modern wall phone jacks. I would use aemeijers advice.

Reply to
bud--

I doubt if you'll find such a thing.

You could buy the cheapest phone you can find and saw it up and make a rear plate, though all modern phones will be plastic. If you want a steel plate you'll need to find an old Western Electric wall phone.

Contact "

" and explain what you're looking for.

You certainly could just buy a blank steel switch plate and fabricate something with the key holes in a few minutes, and mount it to the phone with some spacers.

Reply to
SMS

Pretty much what I was going to write. Remove the plate, cut a hole in the wall and add a modular jack. Plug the phone in and as you go to hang it on the wall, stuff the wires inside the hole with the jack. How to hang it depends on the phone. If you can open it up and see the back of it, put a couple screws through and be sure to hit 1 stud, or use molly bolts.

Reply to
Tony

Radio Shack isn't going to be any better. Need any batteries?

I sincerely doubt if you'll ever find exactly what you're looking for because very few, if any, other people do what you're doing.

You could just cut the keyhole slots into the back of the phone using a Dremel tool...

Reply to
mkirsch1