Help! We have mice

There's a ton of info at

. I found this site a LONG time ago and used to figure out what bugs I was seeing (turned out to be boxelder bugs), how to get rid of carpenter ants, etc. By coincidence (or good fortune), it turned out that the company that runs the site is right near me so I ended up using them to get rid of termites at my house. Other than that, I have no connection with them.

Reply to
BETA-2K

Well that is a good reason for having mice. It get cold and they want to get warm.

Traps, poison and cats are the choices. You will also want to try and find out where they are getting in. You may have luck blocking that. Remember they chew really well so a little wood will not do it. Heavy small hole hardware cloth works well for me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

??? My 8 year old female cat kills at least one a night at this time of the year; sometimes two or three! The 18 year old male gets about one a week (he's afraid he might break a hip jumping off the couch too fast!), and the pantry trap averages 5-6 a week. I'll put my money on the well-fed mouser. She gets bored at night and likes to hunt. We leave the trap set in the pantry all year, but it only goes off in October. We always know there will soon be mice in the pantry (cats can't get in there) when Sophie starts catching mice at night. Takes about 3 days after Sophie's first mouse for the pantry trap to start catching them. We've tried to block off all entry routes, but when your foundation is 200-year-old stacked stone, there's always a few half inch spaces you can't find.

hilary

Only if they plug the entry-path. That empty field is effectively an infinite source. Seal all the ways the mice can get in, THEN kill them with traps.

Reply to
Goedjn

Never never never use poison when peanut butter does the same thing.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

In article , BETA- snipped-for-privacy@betabcghfdsa.cba says... :) There's a ton of info at

. I found this site a LONG :) time ago and used to figure out what bugs I was seeing (turned out to be :) boxelder bugs), how to get rid of carpenter ants, etc. By coincidence (or :) good fortune), it turned out that the company that runs the site is right :) near me so I ended up using them to get rid of termites at my house. Other :) than that, I have no connection with them. :) John is a class act for sure.

Reply to
Lar

Yes, and they keep coming back so you can enjoy the same cute mice over and over and over.

Does that make sense to you?

That's why you have mice in your house. They can chew through that garbage in seconds.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In article , snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says... :) On 27 Oct 2006 11:04:00 -0700, "maurice" wrote: :) >

:) >Incidentally, the poison I was using doesn't have any "secondary :) >poisoning" issues - that is to say, if a dog or cat eats a mouse that's :) >eaten the poison, there aren't any ill effects. :) >

:) :) Please tell me what poison you use that is not harmful to pets? :) He didn't say a poison not harmful to pets..he said no secondary poisoning, meaning the toxin won't be carried to a animal that eats a dead or dying rodent that has fed on the bait.. The two I can think of are baits containing Bromethalin, such as Fastrac and Cholecalciferol (Quintox)...but the downfall are they are more initially toxic to non target animals so placing them in a bait station or other out of the way areas of non target animals is a must.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says... :) There isn't any. That's a marketing myth perpetuated by the makers of the :) poison baits. Fact is, most of the time they die inside the house and stink :) for two weeks. :) :) I definitely never heard that come from the makers of the baits, more so from the exterminators "No ma'am, they won't die in the wall..blah blah blah"...or half heard explanations from the exterminator. "the kidneys contain lots of blood vessels which are effected by the bait..blah blah" and of course spread even more by the untrained at the local home Depot type stores. Rodents definitely don't die most of the time in walls for I would guess I get less than 12 calls a year of such a problem and I have bait in over 250 homes year round. I don't bait inside for mice because much more of a chance over rats that they probably will die inside but it usually lasts 7-10 days depending on time of year if they do. Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

Reply to
Lar

:) Yes, and they keep coming back so you can enjoy the same cute mice over and :) over and over. :) :) Does that make sense to you?

chances are though they have died out, under stress of the capture and being relocated and to now have to find food in territories of other mice, they probably have been torn apart and eaten by other cute little mice.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

My sentiments exactly! I live in a 100+-year-old home with a stacked stone foundation and keep two well-fed feline mousers and one dynamite Corgi mouser (also well fed, although she would tell you otherwise). Haven't had to set a trap since I've lived here. The mice might have adapted, but as long as they've adapted in ways that keep them out of my living space, I'm okay with it!

Jo Ann

snipped-for-privacy@fashi> ??? My 8 year old female cat kills at least one a night at this time of

Reply to
jah213

Chew well?

Their teeth are always growing, so they teethe everyday.

It's one of the many disgusting facts about them.

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Reply to
jah213

Kind of sucks that sharks and mice get new teeth and we don't.

Reply to
Terry

Here kitty,kitty,kitty

Reply to
Green Acres is the place to be

Reply to
HeyBub

why not try those plug in things (i think from black and decker)? i bought a couple and haven't seen a mouse since. the package says they emit a sound frequency that keeps them away. got mine at home depot.

Reply to
lucy

Sure we do, we just have to pay for them at the dentist office.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought some of these last year, and they work great.

You can snap it on your finger and it doesn't even hurt. The mouse suffocates instead of having its guts and eyes pop out.

I heard a snap the first time I used it, and ran out to see. It took the mouse about 10 seconds to stop breathing.

There is a mouse trapped in my utility closet as we speak. I have it barricaded in there with one of the traps. Hopefully it takes the bait...I gave our cat away 2 weeks ago.

Reply to
Mitch