Help: smoke detector chirps every 4 minutes

Hello,

I have a smoke detector that's connected to the central alarm system (DSC PC2550, currently unmonitored). It came with the house and I am not very familiar with it and have nobody to ask.

We had a power outage and it started screaming. I unscrewed it and tried to find how to turn it off, didn't find any switch but it stopped when the power came back on.

However, now it gives a loud "chirp" about every 4 minutes.

Maybe it's connected with the outage, maybe it's something I did when trying to "fix" it but it's been going on for almost a day now with no sign of stopping and is very annoying.

Do you have any ideas how can I stop it?

Thank you, James.

Reply to
James

Change the battery. Even though it's part of the alarm system, it probably still uses a battery to operate.

That's what it's trying to tell you it needs.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I-zheet M'drurz Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Not completely true. Most that are part of an intrusion/fire alarm system will not have a battery in them. (They run off the one in the alarm panel box)

If the OP is talking about one of these, the detector might be bad...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Reply to
Bob Gaudio

Smoke detectors do not last for ever. Many of them use a tiny amount of radioactive material and chirp when this is becoming too weak to be effective.

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) dphillipson[at]trytel.com

Reply to
Don Phillipson

How do you know it's part of your security system?? Does it set off the siren when you test it? Hold the button for several seconds as it often takes the relay a while to actuate. If it doesn't set of the siren in about

15 seconds of continuous alarm, then it's *not* part of your system... It's more than likely battery operated. Get yourself a new 9 volt "Energizer"... Replace it every time it's your birthday from here on in. That way it's got a new battery once a year... unless your birtday's February 29... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Is it battery powered? Maybe the battery is low.

Reply to
John R Weiss

Hi Don,

You are correct that some smoke detectors use a small amount of radioactive material. However, depletion of that material is not the problem. The "active ingredient" in ionization smokes is Americium-241 which has a half-life of over 400 years. The detectors have a failure rate of roughly

3% per year, primarily due to dirt and dust accumulation but also due to normal failure of all things electronic. Compounded, this yields a long-term failure rate of about 26% over the course of 10 years. UL in its infinite wisdom has determined that 26% is the limit of tolerance for smoke detector failures. NFPA 72 (fire alarm code) requires replacement of non-system (i.e., stand-alone or interconnected 110/9 V) smokes every 10 years.

Many burglar alarm installers replace all smokes after 5 or 10 years although this is not required by code. Some mistakenly believe that the difference is that most "system" smokes are photoelectric rather than ionization (radioactive) type. However, the real reason is that monitored smokes are supposed to be inspected and serviced periodically whereas stand-alone smokes are rarely if ever inspected. You can find more on this in the appropriate articles within NFPA72. If you need a quote I can cut and paste small passages. If you want the whole thing (a good idea to have) you can order it online at the NFPA website.

IIRC the 10 year replacement rule is applicable both to ionization and photoelectric smokes. I rarely sell ion smokes and I haven't installed one of them in many years because most of my work has always been residential. Ion smokes are preferred for commercial space. Photoelectrics are preferred for homes.

It is possible that the OP's detector needs service but not because of depleted americium.

Regards, Robert

=============================>

Bass Home Electronics, Inc

2291 Pine View Circle Sarasota · Florida · 34231 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support 941-925-9747 Fax 941-232-0791 Wireless Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
Robert L. Bass

Reminds me of a job I had to go back to after the system was up and running for a couple months. They complained of a chirping noise from the smoke detector I just installed. I told them ours don't chirp! But I went over there anyways. Fact is when I replaced theirs with my smoke I set it in a towel shelf so I didn't have to set it down. Well months later the battery died right there. WHOOPS!

"Energizer"...

Reply to
<Loudloon

:-)

Lot's of stories out there like that...

Reply to
Frank Olson

The half life of Americium 241 (the radioisotope used in smoke detectors) is

458 years so usually that would not be the issue. Typically smoke detectors act up because they are dirty and if battery powered the battery is low.
Reply to
George

When I was remodeling the house I installed a couple cheepo battery powered smoke detectors with the ultimate plan of doing a central panel. When I took the battery powered one in the kitchen down I apparantly got distracted and put it on top of a kitchen cabinet (no soffit). A good 2 years later it took a few days to figure out where the chirp was coming from because the central station smokes I installed don't chirp.

Reply to
George

You are correct except that the half-life is a mere 432 years. By then even a free ADT system will have been paid off. :^)

Regards, Robert

=============================>

Bass Home Electronics, Inc

2291 Pine View Circle Sarasota · Florida · 34231 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support 941-925-9747 Fax 941-232-0791 Wireless Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
Robert L. Bass

Reply to
Nathaniel Lind (New)

Do you have a manual for your system?

May help

Reply to
mike gratton

On 2 Sep 2003 02:49:46 -0700 I replied to snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm (James) on a piece of toilet paper while scribbling their name and phone number on the bathroom wall in alt.security.alarms

The outage may have sent the detector into a test mode. Check your manual to be sure or contact the installer.

Reply to
JayPeeEye

Is there a back-up battery in it? Some of these do that "chirp" when the battery is low, suggest you look at that.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Reply to
Nathaniel Lind (New)