Help Replacing Washer on OutdoorOutdoor Faucet

I have a Prier outdoor faucet that leaks from the handle when I turn it on. I believe this is the model.
http://www.prier.com/PDFFiles/c-144iom.pdf
I want to replace the washer, but I'm having trouble removing the stem. As I unscrew it, the stem comes out about an inch, but at that point it turns without coming out any further. Is there a trick to removing the stem?
Thanks, SW
could be frozen? stripped threads? just replace the whole thing? for replacements also see hdsupply.com virtual catalog pg 230