Help please: cutting styrofoam sheets

Page 3 of 4

I assumed (quite possibly wrongly) this was an attached/ integral garage. In that case, I think it's reasonable to treat the garage *like* living space from a fire perspective. And I'm quite sure unprotected styrofoam would not be code compliant in a living area. Also, a significant number of home fires do start in attached garages.
However, if this garage is a separate structure, then there probably isn't much of a fire safety issue. On the other hand, I'm not sure insulating the door is going to help much if the walls/roof are uninsulated.
On Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:09:54 PM UTC-4, Zz Yzx wrote:

On Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:09:54 PM UTC-4, Zz Yzx wrote:

Make one. You're a shop!
I use an extra sharp matting knife, a straight edge, multiple cuts while gently 'spreading' the cut. You get a lot of tiny pieces, but not as bad as other methods I've tried.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hi, For small job, I use soldering iron with flat blade like tip.

A table saw does a great job but if you don't have a dust collection system you will have a snow storm

I was going to suggest this for the long cuts, and a circular saw for the short ones. I used my rechargeable circular saw. Just pick a place to do all of your cutting and have a shop-vac handy.

I've always just used a super sharp knife or razor blade. For something as thick as 2" that might not work well though, as knives with disposable blades are not common that large. Maybe get an old kitchen knife from Salvation Army and just sharpen the snot out of it before use? (assuming you have a good knife sharpening system) You'll still make a little mess as you'll still get those little balls of styrofoam all over the place unless your sharpening skills are better than mine. Keep in mind that you will need to bevel the edges of the panels as well unless this is an old school one piece door. Might be easier to accept less insulation and use thinner panels.
good luck
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Hand Saw?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sorry folks. You got suckered by this dipshit. The post is over 3 years old.
bob baitman.
Not that that couldn't be his name, but what are the odds.

ARRRGGGG!!!! On the GOOD side I have the same requirement right now, so have benefited from lurking.
On 11/20/2013 3:57 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

Try an electric carving knife. I did it that way and it worked out good. Put a sheet under the cutting area to catch the bits.
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:46:07 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

You really don't need to cut all the way through. If you score it 1/3 to 1/2 way it will snap off clean over a straight edge
On 11/20/2013 3:57 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

In that case, I have had good results using my wife's electric carving knife to cut Styrofoam, but don't tell her.

Better yet, buy one of these...
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/jigsaws/carvex-psb-420-ebq-jigsaw-561608
And ask them to throw in one of these...
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/jigsaws/jigsaw-blades/jigsaw-blade-s155-w-3x-493656

Fe stool? That must be hard on the 'roids.
What about one of those cans of spray expanding foam instead?

Most doors I see are not hollow, of the uninsulated variety, made from wood.
I've stapled double sided reflective polyethylene 1/4 inch flexible stuff to garage doors, leaving air gaps on the slots.
Styrofoam has less R value than other foam sheeting. Also harder to cut.
Greg
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:02:31 -0600, Nightcrawler®

If you've ever bought their tools, you'd say the same thing. ;-)

I hope you got it done before now. 3.5 years is a long time to work in a hot shop.

If you decide to build a hot-wire, be aware that the smoke from some materials is very toxic.