help me to choose a drill on a budget

Page 3 of 3

True and the only drills I have today are cordless. Problem is, for someone that rarely uses a drill, the batteries won't last very long and will be dead when you need them.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:52:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ucdavis.edu wrote:

I think you're trying to combine needs here.
If you want a powerful, long lasting drill, get a corded drill. A $10 3/8 drill from Ebay or Craigslist might last your lifetime with intermittent use.
For a light, handy cordless get a 7-10 volt. I've been using a Ryobi 7.2 volt for 15[?] years to drive screws & do a little light drilling. I think it cost $10 at a garage sale. I bought a [$40] NiMH battery for it several years ago & now it has twice the power it ever had and seems to go forever without needing a charge.
I have a 1/2 inch drill. I might use it twice a year to drive landscape screws. On those occasions it is indispensable. Other than that, the 3/8 corded is the workhorse--- I can't even say what brand it is- it's purple.
Jim