Help! Gas furnace ignition goofed?

Its a 16 year old heil gas furnace with clicking (piezo starter?)

  1. The thermostat turns on the furnace ok
  2. The furnace clicks on the ignition flame with clicking and the burners come on ok.

BUT!

  1. The clicking never stops, and continues randomly and rapidly even with the burners on.

  1. Often the burners get extinguished due to rapid clicking as the ignition (I think) for a second turns off the gas and attempts to re-start the burners again and they do come on again within 2 seconds or so.

  2. This whole burners going on-off and clicking stops when the thermostat turns off the furnace / target temperature has been reached.

help!

Regards, Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Check with friends, relatives, nieghbors, co-workers......see who they recommend.

........and call a competant HVAC company in to resolve the issue.

Reply to
kjpro

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Do you think the ignition is bad.. Can I replace it?

thanks! JB

Reply to
Jim Brown

Possible, ?? could possibly be whatever triggers the ignition too. I am not a hvac man, play one at home tho sometimes............lol, These guys usually won't tell you nothing, I guess its for good reason tho......... A Gas furnace, does of course have the potential to be VERY dangerous! Sometimes if you read between the lines you can learn something tho.......... Again, I'll probley get hell, but might want to try Taping ,(Taping now, not beating the shit out of,..........lol) the ignition box when it is doing that.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Before you go and start changing parts (that probably isn't the cure), call someone that can diagnose the problem and fix it.

It will be cheaper to do that, then to change parts you can't take back.

Reply to
kjpro

The ignition is most likely ok.After all, it is lighting! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hit with a hammer! It won't help! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Hi Jim, hope you are having a nice day

On 22-Feb-04 At About 18:32:27, Jim Brown wrote to All Subject: Re: Help! Gas furnace ignition goofed?

JB> From: jim snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jim Brown)

JB> Do you think the ignition is bad.. Can I replace it?

The problem is that there is no way to tell without being there to test it.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2