HELP! Contractor work caused HUGE Settlement Cracks and damage

Page 2 of 2
kitamaria wrote:

seems worthy of consulting an attorney (assuming you have a good one :o) because: There may have been defects not disclosed by purchaser, damage done by contractor, or issues covered by warranty. Bring photos :o) Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
I would call the contractor to inquire about the cracks in the walls.
And for what it's worth, if's really no big deal to fix them. You just dig them out, fill in, prime and paint. I'd be painting the whole wall to make it look right though.
Thanks, I wil do that. I think the damage may be worse than I thought those because one of the cracks is on both sides of the wall and also splits on the doorway. I could almost take a piece of dental floss and slip it in between the two sides of plaster now. I am having an engineer come examine it but from the naked eye it looks like the sellers had a problem in the past and removed a chunk of plaster the size of a big screen tv and painted over it and now that chunk is going to "fall out." Very annoying but I still love the house. Just irritated this happened so soon after moving in!
says...

Hmmm, you may (or may not) have a disclosure issue. After you work with the engineer (and depending on what the engineer says about the structural issues and probably history) you might conside pursuing this with an attorney.
Banty
says...

Yes, call the contractor back.
Was the house partially undermined? Was it jacked up to facilitate the work?
Banty
I am not sure what that means. I know they were working under the house in the crawl space. I also noticed that most of the cracks in the house correspond to the piers they replaced underneath.
In your original post, you mentioned this was done to stop movement. When the contractor was finished had he re-levelled the house where it was not level before? This will cause cracks, but if the house is now level, these can be filled and repaired and "should" not re-appear if the foundation is now solid.

I am not sure if the house is now level. Since I am on a hill (but not a steep hill --more like the bottom of a hill with a gradual slope) and my house is 50 years old, the house has shifted by 3 inches and the "piers" had shifted. The job was to make the piers straight again and since they help support the house, i guess that was supposed to help the house from shifting -although realistically the house will always move a little due to gravity. But your comment does give me hope. I will have another contractor come assess the situation.
Maybe you'll get a huge settlement as your attorney cracks the case and sues for damages.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info