Help! Clogged toilet and cant figure out how to unclog it

I have a toilet downstairs, and the master bathroom directly upstairs. The toilet downstairs is clogged, the toilet upstairs is working fine maybe a little slow draining but not too bad. Well, if you use the upstairs toilet, or the shower it backs up and flows out of the downstairs toilet. If it is the shower, the water is clean......but if it is the toilet (even clean water) flushing the water that comes in is dirty. I have tried a plunger, and a snake thing, but it does not work. I even tried the hot water, and vinager, still nothing. What should I try next other than calling a plumber?? Is this a lost cause?
c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Lost cause.
What you describe is a total blockage of the Main drain. If septic, could be blockage out there or en-route.
If city sewer, tree roots to street lateral.
Or???
Only an experienced guy on the spot can tell you. From here it's a guess...
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

I agree. It's happened to me a couple of times and it takes a long auger to remove the clog. Best to call a plumber. Their price in my area runs $60 - $80 depending on time spent.
My plumber does not handle clogs in the drain. He referred me to the drain cleaner section of the yellow pages. 2 hours and $75 later the problem was solved.
Bob wrote:

c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Logic tells me you have a clog in the sewer line. After downstairs, it'll be upstairs one to act up. No access plug for the sewer line?
I have no idea if there is an access plug....where would that be? I have never ownedmy own home before so I have never had to worry about things like this. My husband is working and he will not have time off for a while. Thanks alot.... Tony Hwang wrote:

First, what NOT to do. Don't call any of the drain cleaning services that advertise with huge ads in the Yellow Pages. they tend to be rather expensive. Some are good, some are not.
Access plug is often on the side of the drain line as it comes from the upstairs to the downstairs of basement. In my case, there is also a second access outside the house from a standpipe about 18" high next to the foundation. Removing the toilet is another way to gain access. You can rent motorized snakes that are 100' long from a tool rental, maybe a Home Depot.
If you are not up to the job, find a local plumber. If you have a plumbing supply house in the neighborhood, go over there and see who shows up and ask them to do the job.
On 23 Jul 2006 18:42:32 -0700, c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try calling your city engineering dept. Where I live they will clean out the sewer lines free a couple of times a year. Or they might be able to recommend someone.
rotooooo rooter time, abt 65 bucks in the carolinas