Help! Clogged toilet and cant figure out how to unclog it

I have a toilet downstairs, and the master bathroom directly upstairs. The toilet downstairs is clogged, the toilet upstairs is working fine maybe a little slow draining but not too bad. Well, if you use the upstairs toilet, or the shower it backs up and flows out of the downstairs toilet. If it is the shower, the water is clean......but if it is the toilet (even clean water) flushing the water that comes in is dirty. I have tried a plunger, and a snake thing, but it does not work. I even tried the hot water, and vinager, still nothing. What should I try next other than calling a plumber?? Is this a lost cause?

Reply to
c_massow

Lost cause.

What you describe is a total blockage of the Main drain. If septic, could be blockage out there or en-route.

If city sewer, tree roots to street lateral.

Or???

Only an experienced guy on the spot can tell you. From here it's a guess...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, Logic tells me you have a clog in the sewer line. After downstairs, it'll be upstairs one to act up. No access plug for the sewer line?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
c_massow

I agree. It's happened to me a couple of times and it takes a long auger to remove the clog. Best to call a plumber. Their price in my area runs $60 - $80 depending on time spent.

Reply to
Bob

First, what NOT to do. Don't call any of the drain cleaning services that advertise with huge ads in the Yellow Pages. they tend to be rather expensive. Some are good, some are not.

Access plug is often on the side of the drain line as it comes from the upstairs to the downstairs of basement. In my case, there is also a second access outside the house from a standpipe about 18" high next to the foundation. Removing the toilet is another way to gain access. You can rent motorized snakes that are 100' long from a tool rental, maybe a Home Depot.

If you are not up to the job, find a local plumber. If you have a plumbing supply house in the neighborhood, go over there and see who shows up and ask them to do the job.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try calling your city engineering dept. Where I live they will clean out the sewer lines free a couple of times a year. Or they might be able to recommend someone.

Reply to
chris

My plumber does not handle clogs in the drain. He referred me to the drain cleaner section of the yellow pages. 2 hours and $75 later the problem was solved.

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Reply to