Help anchoring a screw in old masonry wall

I did a drapery install a while back in a very old masonry residence, plaster over brick, real brick house, not veneer. Mortar or brick was to soft to hold to hold a Tapcon even when using a 3" one. Plastic plug for masonry also failed to hold. Finally got a hold using a long-range molly; but now that has pulled out. Maximum screw size for the bracket would be a #8. The only possible thing that I can think of it to fill the hole and whatever void exists behind it with anchoring cement, put a piece of tape over the hole to hold it, allow it to dry and try again.

If anyone has any suggestions as to a better thing to try, Post away and

TIA

Reply to
Colbyt

Think about trying to drive a slightly oversized piece of dowel rod (or any soft wood) into the hole. Just big enough to grab but not big enough to maybe knock away more mortar/brick. Get it in far enough and the head should begin to flatten out, you can work with it as much as needed to get it flush and looking halfway decent. flush cut it with a saw, sand it, try to hit a good combination of stain/paint to get it color matched to the wall. The upside to all of that work is that you have a nice firm, easy-to-work-with piece of wood to accept your screws.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I can't see the problem, but ... there is a kind of epoxy that sticks to both brick and metal.

-B

When mounting mantles on brick or stone fire places I usually drill a 1/4" masonry bit deep enough to the push a dowel into the hole with a little construction adhesive on the end. Once dry I predrill the dowel which will then accept a screw for mounting.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I second that, but I'd take the time to slop a little epoxy on the wood and in the hole before I drove it home.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia