Heat Pump

I have received two different opinions, and would like more if anyone can help.
I have a heat pump and one tech told me that when it gets down to 28 degrees, I should switch the heat over to auxiliary, which allows me to use the furnace, and not the heat pump. Another tech told me not to do this.
Which one is correct, and why?
Thanks.
Corinne

This is Turtle.
If your furnace as you say is gas / oil / propane yes 28F is not a bad temp. to switch at but i like the 25F Better.
If your furnace is electric strips. I set them to automaticly switch at 20F by way of out door thermostat.
TURTLE

Why "switch?"
Just let the strips come in automatically as the HP fails to maintain temperature. The HP compressor keeps operating continuously.
I wouldn't have a heat pump in my home if you installed it and gave to me free of charge. I had a Carrier a while back and the repairs after 1 year nearly broke me. Heat pumps are the most over hyped piece of crap that was ever invented.

Certainly not a universal experience. I live in the desert near Las Vegas where winter temps rarely get down to 20 degrees. Had an AC, gas furnace combination. Replaced the 19-year old AC with a Carrier heat pump (no heat strips) in 1982 and retained the furnace for possible emergencies. At local energy costs, the heat pump saves me about $40-50 per month for five months each year. My total repair cost for 23 years has been about $1300 including a replacement compressor after 15 years.
Costs depend on local climate and energy prices. There is no universal answer. ------ SJF

Really. We have had heat pumps in our houses (except this one) since 1980 and never had one service call. These were all where it snows in the winter. Idaho, Washington and Oregon. We are in the process of having another one installed. This one in Arizona. Can't wait to start saving money.
GOOD LUCK.