Headroom too low for new garage door?

Existing door opining is 16'w x 7'h. Headroom in front is only 7' 3" while back of the garage is over 20' high! Its a track house and only mine has the low ceiling while the same models elsewhere has higher ceilings up front. I had to cut a slot in the front ceiling in order to mount the garage door opener. There is no room to mount a torsion spring bar for new sectional door. The 7' 3" front ceiling has a continuous plywood, looks like structural bracing. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jack

Shop around and talk to some experienced salespersons. There are "low headroom" kits for some garage doors. I think you get stuck using the counter springs instead of the torsion type but them seem to work okay. I had them at my last house and never had any real problems with them.

Reply to
Colbyt

Mine is 7' 6". They had no problem putting one in but did have to use the spring type.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You need double low headroom track w/ rear mount torsion springs (springs are at the back of the horizontal track).

Doordoc

doordoc

======================= I would go to a few commercial door companies...In one of my garages I have a couple of auto lifts (I restore cars as a hobby) and could not handle a regular door that opened up and slid along trhe ceiling... all 3 doors on the garage are roll up doors which resemble and work like an old fashioned window shade...and very simiplar to those doors found on loading docks of stores etc....

The cost is honestly just a little more expensive you do deed about 16 inches of height directoly over the door section itself to for the door to roll up like a rolled up carpet... Solved my problems ..plus allows more lighting fixtures in the ceiling etc...

Just an idea...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.