HDMI VS Componet Video

Page 2 of 2

I would have thought a complete digital signal would have been better. Component is analog, Hdmi is digital with sound in one cable. Component was out before Hdmi. Somewhere in the chain something isnt optimised for Hdmi, maybe try a different cable box.

And the component signal is converted to digital. Why do you think they started putting component outputs on DVD players?

I said component is analog.

So is the RG7 cable that hooks up to your TV. I guess I missed your piont.
ROANIN wrote:

On my first 32" 1080i HDTV, the component input from the cable box was far superior to the digital output of the time - DVI (essentially HDMI minus audio).
On my current 42" 1080p LCD as well as my 110" 1080p projector, they are equal in quality.
So whether that's due to the signal quality limitations of the cable box - not revealing the supposed superiority of HDMI - or that there simply is no difference, I can't say.

If I run my cable directly to my TV, my local HD channels look slightly better than they do through my HD DVR. Riddle me that.......
Ron wrote:

That's REAL interesting.
I've never been able to try that, as all my display devices are tunerless monitors.
So maybe digital DVRs DON'T capture the full quality of the original source after all and are just glorified VCRs.
ROANIN wrote:

Others have explained the difference between HDMI and Component video, so I will pass, but will give you my 2 cents on a problem my dad and I ran into.
1) The manufacture of my TV has an option that allows the entertainment system to predict what I need and turn on or off things like BlueRay and the Amp when using HDMI. I hated this so I disabled the option.
2) In our area we (both my dad and I) were having a little problem once in a while with momentary drops in signal. When using HDMI the screen would go blank for 10 - 20 seconds while the TV and Cable Box reestablished a connection. I switched both systems to Component Video from the cable box only and I no longer get the blank screen as the blip in the signal is often hardly noticeable. I still connect to my BlueRay using HDMI and to my Amp using optical.
YMMV
Ned Flanders wrote:

OK Thanks group for all the good information. All I know is that when I hooked up the component connections they looked better than the HDMI 1.3b cable and the box did say "professional" on it so who knows. Will just leave it the way it is for now..