Hardibacker question

I am tiling a small half bath about 4X8 in area. The subfloor is level and solid. In fact, I thought about laying the tile on the subfloor but decided on the hardibacker as there was a vinyl tile floor there before. My question is, with that small of an area, would there be much of a problem just using some construction adhesive and screws for the hardibacker? Or, would the construction adhesive be enough. I know that's not what is suggested but it is such a small area.
|I am tiling a small half bath about 4X8 in area. The subfloor is | level and solid. In fact, I thought about laying the tile on the | subfloor but decided on the hardibacker as there was a vinyl tile | floor there before. My question is, with that small of an area, would | there be much of a problem just using some construction adhesive and | screws for the hardibacker? Or, would the construction adhesive be | enough. I know that's not what is suggested but it is such a small | area. |
liquid nail and screws or thinset and screws it's not worth skimping on the $3 worth of screws.

Heck no, how would you feel when you have to trash your entire project, scrape hardibacker and re-tile, regrout again bacause you saved $3 on screws.
I learned on my previous house prior owner experience.
When I do my floors, I install 30% more screws....
On Apr 16, 7:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good, that takes care of the attachment part. Now, with such a small area and the fact that I'm installing large 12x12 tiles, do I need to tape and thinset between the joints? Also, how close to the wall should the hardibacker be...I thought there had to be a small gap between it and a wall.

Put the hardibacker down with thinset and screws, tape the joints. Buy the hardi brand screws that are square drive, the phillips head ones suck.