hanging pictures on a plaster wall

Is there any advice regarding hanging pictures on old plaster walsl. Will the standard small nail and clasp work, or should i do something differently. The house is 105 years old. No dry wall, just plaster that seems a bit brittle at best. Any suggestions would be welcome. thanks. janet
You want the plastic screw in anchors that are designed for drywall but should work well with plaster. They are rated to hold 50lbs each in drywall. Otherwise you would want to use a toggle bolt, as the nail and clasp will fail unless you are talking about very small, lightweight pictures.

discovered you first have to drill a hole about the size of the anchor body or the anchor will crumble and pull out the plaster instead of screwing into the wall. Tom.
For small pictures:
I pre-drill with a small diameter drill (1/16") thru the plaster & wood lath.
Then I use 16gage brass brads.
For larger pictures I use the same technique but a larger nail.......preferably brass or SS (I don't much care for rust)
cheers Bob
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. It will be a picture hanging weekend, so I will let you know how it goes!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Regards,
Subject: hanging pictures on a plaster wall

The plaster will be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, laid over 1/4x1 1/2 inch lath, with spaces in between. I drill a pilot hole at an inclined angle - the angle of the picture hook nail - but use a bit that is smaller than the diameter of the nail attached to the hook. I drill several holes a half inch apart in a vertical line till I know from the wood shavings and "feel" that I have hit a lath, then pound the oversize nail into the hole, spackle the woodless holes. Works great, and won't work itself loose, as it can if you drill and hang the picture between the laths..
caledon wrote:

Here's another method that looks good in an older home w/ higher than average ceilings. http://tinyurl.com/df5fs

Standard nail and clasp will work just fine. Put a piece of wide cellophane or masking tape on the wall first and nail through the tape. Then peel the tape away. This reduces the possibility of cracking the plaster.
--
Regards,
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:05:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yep, that's the way. Helps also to use a sharp nail. Hardware stores and The Despot sell some pricey brass hangars that have sharper nails than the standard cheapo variety.
--
Luke