Guys, quick, is this a load bearing wall?

To me it looks like it can't be a load bearing wall with an alcove directly above it. I want to put in a pocket door that will slide almost all the way to the black vent pipe. The header is what I'm trying to find out about.

Thanks!

Reply to
smith_bp101

Are you only taking out the middle 2x4, because I see 4x4s surrounding everything for support

Reply to
ransley

I'm going to have to take out the end 4x4. A pocket door will be sliding in there.

Reply to
smith_bp101

This looks like a load bearing wall to me. When in doubt, assume that it is.

Reply to
lwhaley22000

Above the 4x4 over the hall looks like a 6" beam, whats going to keep it up

Reply to
ransley

pkt door to the vent pipe? That won't get across the opening, will it??? Agree with others. Load bearing.

Reply to
Joe

Without more information, judging by the one photo provided I would say that it is a load bearing wall.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I'm assuming it's a load bearing wall. In which I'll have to use a 30" pocket door now, wanted 32 though..

What size header do I use?

Here is my new sketch

If this turns out impossible, I'll put in a swing door, although I'd rather go with pocket.

Reply to
smith_bp101

Green =3D header, yellow is jack stud and red is king studs.

Reply to
smith_bp101

I would put in a king and jack studs next to the vent pipe, same on the other side. Add a header across. I'll have a 30" opening now, I wanted 32".

Reply to
smith_bp101

OP-

Reply to
BobK207

What's on the other side of the wall you tore open? You could leave the current framing alone and steal some space from that room for the pocket door.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

This also guarantees that the pocket door frame won't bow inwards.

[He says after installing a pocket door (3.5" framing) that has about a 1/4" inward bow on one side, that I'm trying to figure out how to correct. Perhaps I should have aimed for 5.5" framing...]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yup, done it before. This time it's too questionable, so I'm going with a swing door. I agree, that it's too much at stake just for a pocket door.

Sorry I couldn't get back earlier. I've reconsidered and will be installing a 32" prehung door.

I appreciate everyones help with this. Even after much observation in the attic, it's was questionable if it was a non-load bearing, which in case I'll assume load bearing to be safe.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
smith_bp101

Agree. It's bathtub on the otherside. I'm installing a swing door. I'll post a pic when finished.

Thanks for the help though!

Reply to
smith_bp101