Gutter De-Icing Cable

I seem to recall a product for de-icing gutters. It was a tape/cable that ran underneath the gutters, was held by adhesve, and did not enter the roof line. The idea of the product was to allow a free flow of water through the gutters by heating from the bottom, giving a channel. If memory serves, it could also be wrpped around or run down the back of the downspouts to keep them free from ice as well.

All I see available now are the cables that zig-zag across the bottom foot or so of the roof, and apparently into the gutter as well. I assume that these are probably better for the purpose of preventing ice dams, which is my objective, but I don't want to attach anything to my roof, even with adhesive.

So, my questions: Are the under gutter tapes available (or were they perhaps a figment of my imagination)? If they are available, are they effective in preventing ice dams? Are the zig-zag tapes better? Is there a way to attach the zig-zag tapes to the roof without adhesives, tacks or nails? I saw clips advertised, but I wonder about their effectiveness.

Reply to
celticsoc

In order to assist you, we will need to know what city and state you're in. Climate reasons, ya know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I thought there was a 'temp' way to attach these heat cables. Something like a clip that holds onto the cable and the tip of a shingle.

Might want to call manufacturers to see if they have such items.

tom @

Just Joshin