Ground Fault Interrupter question

Page 2 of 2
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I give can get it right so I'll quit and blame it on the terrible cold I've got. I think is a lack of GFCI in my brain.

Not sure what you're trying to say either, but read the original post. The guy has problems with the GFCI and apparently ruined it while trying to "fix" something. In his case, I think a GFCI would be a good idea...
A properly grounded outlet is pretty safe. GFCI protection offers more protection against equipment malfunction, especially in wet environments

It's also possible the "problems" you have had are caused by the very thing that GFCI's protect against

snipped-for-privacy@jkjhjkhkj.net says...

Well, one major reason: it has been required by code in garage areas for over 20 years. Replace it with a new GFCI. If the old one was a 'pain in the ass', it was either because it is faulty, or it is just doing its job and dropping off the power due to a ground fault.
Dennis
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:25:27 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com (DT) wrote:

I had neighbors who took their 110V smoke detector in for repairs because it kept going off. While they didn't have it, the fire started, in the stove clock. It has been sending out tiny bits of "smoke", products of combustion, for weeks, and they thought they were all false alarms.

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:25:27 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com (DT) wrote:

I had one GFCI that would trip anytime you plugged in something. Even an extension cord with nothing on the other end. Even one of those plastic outlet fillers.
It was the same one that attracted that boxfull of ants, ant eggs, and ant feces.
Replacing that GFCI (and killing the ants) fixed both problems.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Jim-Poncin wrote:

Hi, You are alive today because GFCI died for you, LOL
when you go to sell your home it will have to be replaced. they are cheap and add much safety, install a new one now