grip surface for exterior stairs

Hi, What are some good materials to place on the tread for my exterior stairs? I've thought of thin wire (may cause a toe to catch on it though) and roof shingles (which easily shed/wear), but I think there must be some better materials. thanks
George Barbarow wrote:

http://www.skygeek.com/wiwaco.html?ag=Wing%20Walk%20Coating&kw=wing%20walk&gclid=CPux2OefzpsCFZ-F7Qod6iyeJA Maybe that chunky truck-bed stuff would work just as well?
You can find truck-bed liner by the quart at Walmart, but I can't remember if they also have the chunky stuff.