Green pool algae cleanup process

Hello, I recently went on vacation and when I came back my pool was filled with green algae. This stuff was all over the vinyl liner including the walls and floor. The pool was built just a few months ago. I am using a 2hp Hayward sand filter. I went to my local pool supply store and they recommended that I balance the water and then add yellow out algaecide which I did. The confusion comes because I have add this stuff and do not know If I should live the filter on with its super-chlorination or turn it off with no chlorination. The only way chlorine is produced is by having the filter on because I have an electronic chlorine generator. So what do I do? Some web sites say leave it on, others turn it off so that the algae will die and clump together.

Reply to
clark251

If you do not trust the pool store's advice, consider that (1) algicide will kill the algae; (2) you must then remove the dead algae from the water.

Your two choices for this are: (a) Run the pump, which will move algae into the filter. You must then clean the filter (b) Vacuum to waste, i.e. remove both algae and the bottom of the water column where the algae has collected.

You can then restart from scratch (same as at the beginning of the pool season) as the pool store recommended. You can use chlorine granules (with or without the chlorinating pump) if it accelerates stage #1 (balancing.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Lower pH to 7.0 or so with pool acid, superchlorinate (with hypochlorite from the pool store), keep pH low, run filter.

Chlorine (and acid to lower pH) alone will clean up any algae bloom; you don't need the algaecides.

Start the chlorine dosing at dusk.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Thankyou both, Ill let the filter run tonight, vac tomorrow and see what happens.

Reply to
clark251

I would check you chlorine generator is working, You may not be running it long enough. You might have to dial up the percentage up. How often do check the chlorine level? do you have you water tested? The hotter the pool gets the more chlorine is used . Check your Stabilizer( synergic acid sp) If your pool has a chlorine generator check the salt level. Check for phosphates, algae food, to high of a level it will eat the chlorine. You have to find a Good pool supply to test your water and teach about pool chemistry. Stay away from Leslie's if you have one. Sounds scary but it's not, there is a learning curve. A pool is like a boat $$$$$$$ and I know if I dig down there is a trailer under it.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

After I came home and saw the pool I went directly to my local pool supply (not Leslie). This is what they told me to do: Add 18.5 lbs. of total alkalinity increaser. Wait 2 hours then go to the next step. Add 4.75 lb of pH decrease. Note that my pH was 7.8. Wait 15 min. then go to the next step. Press the super chlorinating button on generator. Add 4.5lbs of Algae Destroyer a.k.a. Yellow Out. Brush pool, Run 24 hrs. Vac. to Waste. This is the step that I am currently at. Add 5lbs. of Chlorine Stabilizer after treating algae.

Tested levels: CYA: 10 tot. Chlorine 0 Free chlorine 0 pH: 7.8 Demand Drops 2 Tot. Alkalinity 100 Adj. Alkalinity 97 Tot. Hardness 120 Copper 0

This was done when I went to the pool supply store and NOT after I followed their treatment regimen. I have a 20,000 gal. vinyl pool (in ground)

Reply to
clark251

The people at the pool store are idiots and swindlers.

First of all, to clean up algae, use superchlorine in a single dose. Your salt generator simply will not deliver that much chlorine quickly. You need a few gallons of fresh 12 percent sodium hypochlorite. That and pool acid, not dry "pH down". This should cost you less than 10 bucks. That should be *all* you need to clean up your pool.

Second, the "yellow out" will quickly deplete any chlorine you have in the pool. Chlorine that would have cleaned up the green algae. You don't have yellow algae anyway, why are they selling you that yellow treatment (which doesn't work any better than chlorine at 1/10 the price)?

You don't need alkalinity increaser, at least not until you get your pool cleaned up. Then you can fuss with balancing the water, which isn't very important in a vinyl pool anyway. Don't use "stabilizer", it will spoil your chlorinating action.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

for a ride. I am now looking a pool supplies and find that some/ most are lithium hypo chlorite or calcium hypo chlorite. Is this the equivalent of sodium? Can you recommend a place where I can buy this stuff online? Thank you and everyone else for their help. It has actually been very frustrating after spending $xxx at the pool supply place and seeing no results.

Reply to
clark251

Over the 30 or so years my Pool has been used I have learned that getting water "tested" by pool stores always produces a long list of needed "stuff" and a long list of do this wait 2 hours etc...

Richard is completely (as usual) correct... although I normally use Dry Ph Decreaser or Increaser...just easier to keep a Jug on hand...

On the stabilizer ? Honestly I do use it .. But if the level gets very high the only way to decrease it is to drain a lot of water out of your pool and refill with fresh water... Only had this problem once in 30 or so years ... so it has not been a big deal...

Vaccum to waste is your friend ... LOL

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.