Got the Twitchy-Tool coping saw replacement

It's a blade holder that fits in a multi-function oscillating tool. The holder then accepts a 3-inch saw blade plus various spiral-toothed blades. With this tool and blade in place, the result replaces a coping saw and other tools for detail work.

This is a fairly new tool and prices are all over the place (Rockwell, Bosch, etc.). The best price I found was from Amazon for the one made by Dremel, a few pennies less than $20.

I experimented a bit and found the tool to do MUCH better than my ham-handed prior attempts at molding coping.

Reply to
HeyBub

In what brand/model Twitchy-Tool did you try it in?

I just bought a HF variable speed and gave my single speed to my son. I hear the variable speed has a universal mount, but I haven't tried any non-HF attachments yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That blade does not twist to cut at different angles ?? Like right angle.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Oh, yeah. The Harbor Freight Miracle Multifunction Mandible Oscillating tool. Since I couldn't justify a $300-500 Fein, I stepped down a notch to the $14.99 HF offering. I've got three of them now; buying the kit is cheaper than buying the blades that come in the kit separately.

I'd be surprised if bits from other manufacturer's DIDN'T fit. HF seems to be following the Gillette business model: Give away the razor and sell the blades.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, it doesn't. You twist your wrist.

Reply to
HeyBub

I was thinking of getting into small areas. I had thoughts of cutting PVC pipe, but it probably goes too fast.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Read what you wrote. You may be right, but your post doesn't make your point very well.

If HF wants to give away the tool so they can sell you the blades, why would they make it so the tool works with other manufacturer's attachments? Seems like they'd use a proprietary mounting system so you would have to buy *their* attachments.

I'm pretty sure you can't use a Schick blade in a Gillette razor for the very "business model" reason you brought up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You could switch blades with razors back in the day when all that were available were single- and double-edged razors and blades... not counting straight razors.

I'm sure various MBA types have determined that making cheap attachements is, to some degree, counter-productive. I suspect because if, say, Dremel began marketing a blade that would only fit their tool, it wouldn't take Bosch or HF ten minutes to jury-rig something to compete. Meanwhile, Dremel would get flogged for "non-standard" stuff.

Reply to
HeyBub

It cuts PVC fine. There's a video of that being done.

I cut my PVC with a reciprocating saw and a wood bit.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't think that speed is an issue but with the always available 20% off coupon, the variable speed MF tool from HF is $31.99. You even get a case and a bunch of new attachments. How can you go wrong?

DerbyDad03

I bought one, but It's still in box. I don't think it came with any attachments, but I'll see.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Per the website, it comes with these...mine did:

Accessories Included Half-moon blade, angled scraper blade, angled cutter blade,

3" triangular sanding pad with sandpaper for metal and wood, hex wrench, carbon brushes, and storage case.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

So I can buy *their* blades and put them in my Bosch and Dremel? Doesn't work, though, so no sale.

Single-edge and Double-edge blades do. The rest of the world runs on standards (though there are many ;-).

Reply to
krw

First, Dremel is a division of Bosch, so I suppose what fits one will fit the other.

And, yes, I'm almost certain you can use a HF blade in a Dremel (or Bosch) or Fein or Rockwell or anybody else's tool.

Buy a HF blade. Try it out. If it doesn't fit return it for a full refund.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is my understanding that HF "recently" changed their attachments so that they are universal.

They are definitely different than they were when I bought my single speed a few years ago.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You would be wrong. I thought so too, but opened a brand new Dremel blade, today, and it didn't fit the Bosch.

Nope. Don't fit. BTDT.

Done it.

Reply to
krw

Must be more recently than two months ago.

Reply to
krw

I don't have any other brand than the HF, so I can't test their claim, but the text for the 2 attachments shown below say that they fit a long list of manufacturers, including Bosch and Dremel.

It was my (unsubstantiated) understanding that once HF changed from the slotted-hole mounting system to the round-hole mounting system, their attachments became universal.

What's strange is that most of the blades that they show on their website show the slotted blades, but all of the accessories that came with my variable speed model (purchased in January) have the round-holed mounting system, even the same blades that show as slotted on their website. I wonder if they jut haven't updated the images on the site yet.

This one, even though it says it fits other brands, shows the slotted mounting system. I think it's an image issue and that all of their attachments have the round holes now. I'd have to swing by a store to check.

Check out the blades from this sleazy eBay seller in the middle of this page:

DerbyDad03

The design is much different, not that it matters to me but it is way different. They fit the same on my HF with no problem. So I guess they are going after more business. My only gripe is I would like a good hacksaw blade for cutting metal. The bimetal just does not do it for me. For little things.

Reply to
AMoore

You're probably trying to install the blade improperly. The bolt goes THROUGH the hole in the blade and is NOT used (in conjunction with a washer) as a hold-down clamp.

Reply to
HeyBub