Goodman or Rheem gas furnace?

I am posting this for a family member. He is replacing an old furnace. Two licensed hvac contractors came in with estimates. One want to use a Goodman and the other want to install a Rheem. Are these reliable units? Or should he ask for a different furnace manufacturer? Also 80, 90, or 93% efficiency unit. Is it worth the rebates and do you actually save in the long run. Thanks. Pete New Jersey

I just went through this stuff. In my case the difference in price from 80% to 92% was about $500. I will save that in 2 to 3 years, if the price of Natural gas does not go up. It was a no brainer for me.
I was also offered a Goodman 90+ installed and a Trane 90+ for $750 more. I choose the Trane; it better than Goodman.
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

call this number day or night!
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...

estimates. One want to use a

Are these reliable units?

manufacturer? Also 80, 90, or

do you actually save in

How about 95% efficiency? Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. With a vaiable speed blower supposedly you can get 95% efficiency. As of September first the rebate for a variable speed furnace(95%) was raised to $400 as opposed to $300 for a high-efficiency furnace with a standard blower(92%). And the cost difference for an 80% or a 92% is less than the rebate you get if you go with Goodman. Goodman offers a 10 year parts and labor extended warranty for $100. I don't know if Rheem does or not. But you can't even always go with a high-efficiency model. They are what they call "direct-vented" which means it vents straight to the outside with PVC pipes for fresh-air intake and exaust. They don't go into your chimney. I'm starting to sound like a salesman. I'm just the office girl but I do the paperwork. I guess I just wanted to say I would pick Goodman over Rheem. And that the high-efficiency models aren't always the way to go. And then there's Trane..... Call me if you want to talk about it. Kathy http://www.mountlaurelheatingandcooling.com/contact.html