Kentucky Goodman Heat Pump/Gas Furnace install

Quick question for the pros. I am in the process of obtaining bids to swap out my old (30 year old) Sears gas furnace and Janitrol central

3.5 ton AC unit (22 years old). The last bid I have gotten is from one of our well established outfits here in Lexington,KY. They are quoting me a price of 4900.00 to install a Goodman 115,000 93% gas furnace and a 12 Seer Goodman 4 ton heat pump. They are installing it as a "dual fuel" system so supposedly the heat pump will run until it gets around 35 deg and then switch over to the gas furnace. They are also going to install another cold air return in my living room since I do not have one upstairs. I think that the electric heat pump is a smart way to go here in Kentucky as we have some of the lowest electric rates in the country but our natural gas is skyrocketing as is most places. Does 5 grand sound about right for this type of install with Goodman equipment or should I continue to shop around. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Reply to
Wildcat

[...]

Heat pumps do not heat well below 40 F. We use them a lot here in the desert.

Were "manual calculations" done for load and air volume. They are the only true method of sizing equipment. With out the calculations being done your

4 ton may be to big. If it is to big then it will cycle to fast and not remove the humidity as well.

The installer makes or breaks the performance of the job, not the expense of the equipment. Personally I would not use Goodman but that is just me. Check the link provided for "what ifs' and the system being quoted. http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp If your staying in the home for some time you might want to consider an higher efficiency rating on both units. DEFINITELY a scroll compressor.

As for the extra return, sure can not see the job from here. A second return installed correctly in the upstairs can make a substantial difference in the heat upstairs.

I can not comment on the pricing as I do not work in your market. Kentucky is a pretty big back yard to ask such a general question.

I would get at least 5 bids from licensed contractors with good reputations. Never know someone might have a better deal.

Reply to
SQLit

If you want to email me direct I will share what local knowledge and comments about local contractors I may have. You will need to remove the obvious from the reply to address.

Use alt.home.repair in your subject to avoid deletion as Spam.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt