Good Use for Trex-type Plasticized Sawdust

I generated a lot of sawdust when I cut up the Trex-like material for reboa rding my park style front porch bench. I used a product called Ultraboard form Menards.
I filled newspaper delivery plastic bags with the sawdust. Today, I starte d fire (first for the season) in our heatolater fireplace. Once it was bur ning well, I put a newspaper bag of sawdust in the middle of th fire and it burned quite well. No a roaring fire, but definitely more flames that the wood underneath the bag would produce. I could see little rivulates (of p lastic?) running out of the unburned sawdust just before the flames ignited that particular area of the sawdust. I will have to see if there is much resideue left when I take out the ashes tomorrow, but it sure seens like it is burning fairly cleanly, and I am definitely getting additional heat fro m the fireplace with the plasticized sawdust.
The firebox is completely separate airwise from the room air circulating so I don't have to worry about any noxious fumes from the plastic. The only thing is what it might do to the chimney in terms of soot/creosote build-up .
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

It probably contains bromides to retard burning so it would need help from the rest of the fire.
Given the separate firebox, you won't have noxious fumes, instead, you let them drift to the neighbors. How nice of you. Some plastics do burn cleanly, others do give off nasty odor.
Plastics generally contain a lot of heat energy. Many years ago where I worked, we disposed of the plastic rejects in the trash. The local incinerator like it because they helped wet soggy trash to burn. They used to much one time and burned out the grates.
It won't have creosote, but it may have soot. Not burned properly, it could have lots of soot.

Is the bench finished?
A couple of us wondered about the flexible nature of Trex-like materials, especially since you ripped it into narrower slats than the original wood used for the bench.
So tell us, is there any sag in the bench when you sit on it?
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Interesting concept. I just threw out a 30 gallon trash can of that stuff. I did wonder what it might be good for.
The bench is finished. It isn't at all bouncy since the slats are quite close together. I'll send you a picture tomorrow after the sun comes back up, too dark to get a decent photo tonight.
The biggest work was to bend the arm rests to match the framework. I had the old armrests to use as a form. I ended up heating up the new armrests to about 190 degrees and then clamping them to the original armrests to shape them.

Clamping them side by side or one on top of the other?
Seems like side by side would be the only way to duplicate all the bend radii.
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:15:54 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
r. I'll send you a picture tomorrow after the sun comes > back up, too dark to get a decent photo tonight. > > The biggest work was to bend the arm re sts to match the framework. I had > the old armrests to use as a form. I en ded up heating up the new > armrests to about 190 degrees and then clamping them to the original > armrests to shape them. Clamping them side by side or one on top of the other? Seems like side by side would be the only way t o duplicate all the bend radii.
On top of the originals was close enough. Going to take a photo, will post later today.
On 11/2/2013 5:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Should be safe to burn in a fireplace.
Although MSDS says there can be noxious fumes, there are noxious fumes from burning anything and MSDS says it is mostly wood and polyethylene:
http://www.trex.com/trex/groups/content/@mktgtechsvc/documents/document/trex_003529.pdf
Here is a photo of the conpleted bench. Quite comfortable, great for sitting on while opening the afternoon mail or reading the newspaper.
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r645/hrhofmann/DSC00745_zpsa91c662a.jpg

It looks good.
How did you attach the slats? As far as I can tell from the pictures, the bolts don't align with the end supports.
Did you use some kind of L bracket?
My bad. I should have said/written "ultradeck".
Photo of bench now available. See previous post.
It looks good.
How did you attach the slats? As far as I can tell from the pictures, the bolts don't align with the end supports.
Did you use some kind of L bracket?
Thanks for the nice comment. It doesn't show in the photo, but there were U-shaped tabs on the brackets extending outward from the main supports for each of the slats, that is what the stainless steel bolts go thru.

Front Porch Bench looks good For being made of Wood Fiber 50-60 Polyethylene 40-50 9002-88-4 Carbon Black
Solubility in Water: Negligible
As we say in Houston Now you need to Paint it
Maintaining Transcend and Select Railing ""NEVER"" use acetone or other solvents on Trex Transcend and Select railing to maintain the beauty of the surface.
For color transfer issues (from attachment of baluster spacer), use Mr. Clean, Magic Eraser Original*** or Magic Eraser Extra Power to help remove this.
For small surface scratches, marks or scuffs, use Dupli-Color Scratch SealT Clear Sealer Pen.****