Good small electric chainsaw that won't burn itself up on the first use???

What's a good brand of electric pruning saw. Something like an 8" chainsaw.

Every cheap electric garden tool I've purchased has burned up very quickly. It's always the same thing. The motor brush holders are made of plastic. Brushes heat up, plastic melts, brushes can't move, Arcs burn up the commutator. Motor dead.

You'd think they'd at least put in a thermal coutout.

Anybody make a small, lightweight electric chainsaw that won't die the first time I cut thru a 3" tree limb?

Reply to
mike

Hi, Overloading a motor will cause over heat.....

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You are either overloading it, or using the wrong size extension cord.

They are made to do what they do without burning out. Granted, there are different qualities of them made. Maybe you just need to spring for a good one. And a good cord.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

What do you use 18ga 50-100ft extension cords? Overheating is quickly caused by using to small a gauge extension cord, allowing voltage to drop. Ive never had anything electric burn out, even my cheap sears chain saw, and it never got hot, I use 12 ga cords. All electric equipment I have comes with instructions to the proper gauge to use for the length you need. Google it to see if its not an extension cord issue. Sthil, Makita and maybe they make an electric Echo and Huskavarna, are commercial equipment, but I bet its your cord that is to small to supply the right power. I even test my runs with a volt meter just to be sure when im 100ft out, because maybe your house supply can be low in the hot summer months due to everyone straining the utility co. Your tool needs its rated voltage.

Reply to
ransley

I've been quite happy with my McCullough electric, with maybe a 14" bar on it. Bought it for $15 at a garage sale from some fellow that moved into a condo, and realized he wasn't allowed to touch the trees. I wouldn't try to do production work with it, but for the 2-3 times a year I use it for pruning and cutting up fallen limbs (some up to 4"), it seems to work fine. I don't get along with small gas engines, especially occasional-use ones, and it does what I need it to do. Like the others said, I do use a 12ga cord with it.

Reply to
aemeijers

Not manly enough for me, haha. I love the smell of 2 stroke exhaust :-) However I can't dispute the hassles of small engines that only get used a few times a year. Knock on wood, my 30 year old mac has not given me much trouble for the years.

I agree with you guys about the cord. Too much voltage loss is bad for the motor. Otherwise let the chain do the cutting and any major brand should be fine. Patience grasshopper.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The brushes plastic area melting is just what happens with low voltage, thats where the AC power is transfered to the motor.

Reply to
ransley

I have a $50 chain saw from Lowes or Home Depot. I've cut many limbs a lot larger than 3". But I always use Bar Chain Oil. I do not use any substitute and I always make sure there is oil in the reservoir.

I was not able to find bar chain oil at Lowes or Home Depot. I had to order it from Amazon.com.

Are you diligently using bar chain oil?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

My Remington electric says *don't* use bar oil. I've had it for 8-9 years, and probably cut a 1/2 dozen cords of wood with it. Assorted limbs and such, a couple 40' pine trees and most of a 60' maple. I've sharpened it a few times- but otherwise I just use it and hang it up.

I'm with those who feel the OP is either pushing his saws too hard-- or using the wrong extension cord.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

He probably never put in oil.