good brand of duct tape?

I know that there is such a thing as good, sticky, tenacious duct tape. I also know that there is a lot of duct tape for sale out there that isnt much good for anything.
Does the common stores like Lowes, or Home Depot, etc... carry a brand of duct tape that is super sticky, clings very tenaciously, and is quite strong.
If there is such a tape, what is the brand and model identifier? Where is it available?
The tape I own is just a joke........comes loose in a few hours. And I paid more than 5 bux for the roll, a couple of years ago.
Thank you........ Lee Carkenord
The gold standard for ducrt tape is the mil-spec 100MPH duct tape. It is usually black or O/D.
Greg wrote:

Some NASCAR announcers use the "200 MPH Duct Tape" name when you see a pit crew taping up some part on a car. Being that it comes in so many colors, they can usually get one that matches the paint scheme of the car.
The stuff you mentioned, I'm assuming you mean the higher end stuff from Permacel, one nothch above the typical 100 MPH 665. Oh yeah, almost forgot -- "O/D" = ??
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

Olive Drab?

HeatMan wrote:

That our Outside Diameter.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I found that www.mcmastercarr.com has a good selection of duct tape along with explanations
High-strength and waterproof, tape offers excellent adhesion and flexibility. Use to seal heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) ductwork. Apply to sheet metal, fiber, and slab ductwork to stop air from seeping out and to prevent dust, moisture, and odors from getting in. Will not twist or curl during application. Tape has rubber adhesive and is polyethylene coated, except for premium duty which is vinyl coated. All have a temperature range of 40 to 200 F, unless noted. Rolls are 60 yards long and supplied on a cardboard spool with a 3" ID. A Premium Duty- For high-performance applications that require a low-gloss, nonreflective tape. Also known as gaffer's tape, this tape is vinyl coated, extra durable, and very flexible. Ideal for sealing equipment such as cases and canisters. B Professional Duty- For the most demanding HVAC applications such as sealing ducts, flexduct connections, and seams in insulation. Also great as a covering over pipe insulation. 7612A6 , A7, and A8 meet UL 723. 7612A95 is ideal for military packaging and conforms to Fed. Spec. PPP-T-60e, Type IV, Class I. B Flame Retardant- Has a flame-retardant adhesive. Designed for sealing and protecting wire harness and fiberglass insulation, and for repairing cargo compartment liners. Complies with FAR 25.853(a). B Nuclear Grade- Use in nuclear power plants to seal end caps on stainless steel pipes, hold labels and signs on stainless steel pipes, and seal HVAC metal ductwork. Meets ANSI No. 45.2.2, ASME NQA-1, NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) Guide 1.38, and ASTM D-5486 M93. C General Duty- This multipurpose tape is good for packaging, securing fiberglass insulation, as a condensation barrier in refrigeration assemblies, and in short-term ductwork sealing. Meets UL 723. D Economy Grade- When cost is a concern, choose this economical tape for your bundling, packaging, and holding needs. Meets UL 723
The Nuclear tape is a little over 11 bucks a roll
Wayne

"Olive Drab". It's a military term.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Lee Carkenord wrote:

Probably not, but I just typed it into MSN search window and got back hundreds of hits. Lots of people selling it over the net these days (in the old days, you really had to hunt for it, or be "in the business" and know where to buy it.)

Yes. It's generically called "Gaffer's Tape"
Permacel 665.
http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/gaffertape.html is one of the hundresd of links I just mentioned.

This isn't cheap, not by a long shot. You may want to keep a few rolls of "junk" around for thes illy stuff, and hide this roll for the serious uses. It is the real deal.
Here's Permacel's catalogue page -
http://www.permacel.com/pdfs/i665.pdf
And if you do any looking around their site, you'll see that they call 665 their "general purpose" tape, not to be confused with their heavy-duty 672, which they sometimes actually call by the name "Gaffer's tape" I've never used 672, 665 has done everything I've ever asked, including taping TV lighting fixtures to walls and standing up to thousands of feet walking over my taped-down camera cables.
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

Degrees fahrenheit, available at Home Depot, about twice as sticky, and expensive, as their bargain brand.

This is Turtle
I use Shur Tape Black 2" wide and 60 Yards long on roll --- cost about $5.00 a roll. Can be bought at local HVAC supply houses and work very good. Lowes and Home Cheap-0 don't sell it for they can't buy it cheap enough for it to get the 500% mark up on it.
TURTLE
Lee Carkenord wrote:

What are you taping? There are many different kinds of tape for different uses.
BTW "I paid more than 5 bux for the roll, a couple of years ago" could it be just old?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

For sealing the joints on ducts, MOST of the time, the metal tape is best. It conforms easily to the variations, it sticks well, it doesn't normall support conbustion and can be used in dryer vents, etc.
AND it looks GOOD.
John Gilmer wrote:

And a study at UC Berkeley (yes, really) showed that Duct Tape was really handy for lots of things (holding the universe together), but NOT really good for Ducts. Go figure.
You don't say why you want it, but as an ex-film guy, i've STILL got gaffer's tape around. (silver, black and purple). This is the cloth tape that LOOKS like duct tape, but isn't.
I do know that if you cover something with it and put it 2' from a 10,000 watt light for 3 hrs, it will stretch and droop.
Nothing sticks well to dirty dusty surfaces (it's sticks to the dirt that them comes off with the tape).
But oyu don't say what you need it for.
chuck yerkes wrote:

It was originally developed for Army duck. Somehow the spelling got changed.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

-snip-
Sort of. According to this site it was developed for the Army-- but the 'Duck' part comes either from its waterproof properties or from the 'cotton duck' in it. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm
These guys agree, though I'm not sure where their entertainment ends and their facts begin. http://www.ducktapeguys.com /
Jim
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I believe 3m Makes the best quality duct tape
Randd01 wrote:

I am not sure of what is available in America but in Canada 3M 6969 duct tape sells for about $20.00 a roll and is very, very good.