Glass Refrigerator Shelves

Page 2 of 2

wrote

I took an old trivet and mounted a 90mm PC cooling fan underneath it wired to a 12VDC power supply and connected to an electric timer so I could select the time the fan was on. It's saved me from many a burn inside my mouth when cooking microwave entrees. At first I was going to mount rechargeable batteries in the trivet and build a charging base station so there were no dangling wires but my wife pointed out that putting hot plates on top of batteries was probably asking for trouble. Hangs up neatly on the wall near the oven. Someday I will build a cord retractor to wind up the slack wire. For now I just wrap the cord around the fan (its designed with a channel all the way around that makes it easy). Very useful for cooking pot pies in the toaster oven that come out at roughly the temperature of molten lava (insert disclaimer for the humor challenged - I'm exaggerating!). I once got third degree burns doing that and can still remember the hissing sound of my saliva boiling off when the pot pie goo hit my tongue.
I believe the recommendation to cover the hot food has to do with airborne spores and other contaminants like Uncle Lou sneezing on it. Putting it in the fridge right away has one advantage - you can't forget and leave something out overnight unintentionally. I'm so forgetful I often find a cooked late night snack waiting for me in the microwave when I go to make my morning coffee. That's when I turn to the dog and say "Did YOU do this?"
-- Bobby G.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The worst part of it is leaving it uncovered while cooling. Much better to leave it covered and let it cool slowly. Uncovered is just asking for all kinds of airborne stuff to start growing in it.

Yes, it can and has broken shelves. Cool it down some first or put a cooling rack on the shelf, then the pan Always best to let a hit dish come down in temperature before refrigerating.
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:15:10 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Thanks.
Yeah, I always put a pot holder under the hot pyrex dish, but was wondering if that was really necessary.
I'll continue to do so.
Jack wrote:

They sell little sewer-grate looking things called trivets, specifically to put under hot containers. Since I am reading this on alt.home.repair, I'll suggest making your own. Buy a cheap but thick wooden cutting board, like for cheese at parties, and cut a tapered hole in center the correct size to hold bowl in a non-wobbly fashion. (Isn't the bowl on a pot holder wobbly?) Drill a few skinny holes edgeways in from the outside, to allow ventilation. You want a board and hole sized so bean bowl doesn't actually ever touch the glass.
Personally, I'd just set a plate over the top to keep bugs out, and leave it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes, and not worry about it. If you get called away, several hours will not make any difference to the beans, safety or taste-wise. You eat beans out of crock-pot at buffets, don't you? On the 'warm' setting, they are a fine incubator.
--
aem sends...

Sit on it with your bare ass.
Jack wrote:

Those shelves are made of tempered glass, not low-expansion Pyrex, and can easily crack if something hot touches them. Also doesn't your wife/girlfriend or mother prohibit you from setting anything made of metal, glass, or ceramic directly against glass shelves because they can get scratched and even crack? Sometimes it takes just a small scratch to cause a crack, and a piece of tempered glass will burst into thousands of tiny pieces when cracked.
Jack wrote:

Never put anything hot in the refrigerator, it's senseless. Let it cool to room temperature then put it in the refrigerator. Why wast energy pumping all that heat out of the fridge?
--
LSMFT

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]

You never finished cooking something, then was suddenly called away unexpectedly? Never been called back to work for some emergency? Must be nice to be able to stay home forever. Restaurants do not wait around for warm/hot foods to cool at closing time. They put them in the cold case. Get real.
nb
notbob wrote:

Well if it's an emergency, throw the fukking food out.
--
LSMFT