glass block install cost

Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for windows and how much for install. They said the install is about $2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any advice.
thanks in advance,

16 man hours for $2600? That sounds very high to me. Half that would seem about right.
You can also buy glass block sections that just have to be cemented in place. May be much cheaper to DIY.
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:26:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin

No, it's 16 man-hours PLUS a couple sacks of -very- expensive Portland cement PLUS nearly an hour to pick it all up at the supplier. <thud>

Yes, about $2,500 cheaper if he had to buy pointing and trowel tools. I'll bet the guy didn't want to do the job and just bid it at 5 times his normal hourly rate. Crikey!
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

If the windeo rough openings are an even incremernt of glass block sizes this is not that hard a project. If you get the spacers and practice getting the mortar mixed right you could probably do it yourself. You can also set them with RTV but it is a lot more expensive than glass block mortar. I have done a shower enclosure and a bay window in glass block. It wasn't that hard. The toughest part is getting the windows clean. You have to get the motar off before it sets but not dislodge the blocks.
neighbors who have done this like the look from the outside but it makes a very stuffy stale air basement in buffalo ny climate. sometimes sealing the basement windows creates a problem of moisture and ventilation, so first see: http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/mold/Read_This_Before_You_Design_Build_or_Renovate.pdf
L wrote:

Glass block can be installed with vents.

I didn't read through all the replies, so someone else may have suggested this, but have you tried your local window place, we bought a 3'x6' glass block window, wood frame and installed it ourselves, well, ourselves being me and 3 neighbours to help carry it.

$3200.00 for 4 windows.......hell I have to raise my prices..........this is cleary a case of I dont really want the job and your gonna pay for it if I have to do it..Besides even just 4 windows 1 day is a bit optomistic Id steer clear of these guys.
Heck for 3200.00 you could get a killer alarm sylstem installed...for that price it would probably come with a part time guard... Get some other estimates or look into prefab block windows.
L wrote:

This price WAS for prefab windows from PPG. I called the "estimator" salesperson and asked her to check the install price but she never called back. Anyone know what a fair labor charge would be. This looks like about $650.00 a window just to install.
Thanks
Italian Mason wrote:

Depending on what exactly has to be done, $150 to $300. It has been many ears since I've done one but from my experience in the past, that is a fair charge for most jobs. With a little help, you can do it yourself.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/