GFI Caused a Fire!

Page 6 of 6
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:56:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You finally made the right point. I didnt' see it until now.

micky wrote:

Hi, Arc and overheating can occur on any loose connection wherever they maybe.

A gfi has a circuit. Circuits can catch fire. I saw one circuit with a MOV, which can catch fire. They should have fusing on the circuits, which I doubt many have. The real question is the quality of the box, but if the front flares up, what are you going to do.
Greg
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:37:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@b.c wrote:

I may never sleep again.
Girl Friend Interruptus will definitely cause a fire.
What does GFCI do, then? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Girl Friend Interruptus will definitely cause a fire.
http://Cash4Visits.com/ref.php?refId &7381
I have a similar issue: A GFCI outlet in the apartment we rent was pouring smoke, white smoke that smelled like ozone. The wall behind the outlet wa s hot to the touch. My GF only found out about it when stopping by the apartment during a break from work. Luckily she works in a building just next door to our apartment building. She smelled a strange smell, the lights were off, and there was white smoke pouring out of the GFCI outlet in the kitchen. She called the fire department, who checked the wall, and also felt the wal l panel was still warm to the touch. The lights were off in the apartment at the time. (we usually turn them off ) and there has been NOTHING plugged into the GFCI plug for months. So ,yeah, we are not staying there any more.
Any ideas on how something like this starts?
Some background: It's a 139 year old historic building that last had a int erior structural rehab in the 1980s. Mixed retail and living units across three floors and a basement.
Ideas?
On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What else was on that circuit? In an old building like that the GFI was usually going to be feeding all of the down stream outlets.

ng smoke, white smoke that smelled like ozone. The wall behind the outlet was hot to the touch.

ak from work. Luckily she works in a building just next door to our apartme nt building. She smelled a strange smell, the lights were off, and there w as white smoke pouring out of the GFCI outlet in the kitchen.

all panel was still warm to the touch.

ff) and there has been NOTHING plugged into the GFCI plug for months.

nterior structural rehab in the 1980s. Mixed retail and living units acros s three floors and a basement.

I have seen loose connections cause a GFCI outlet to burn, but that was wit h a load on it.
Was there any indication of water getting onto the GFCI outlet somehow? Th at would cause it to burn without a load.
A faulty plug would cause heat to develop, but that would also have to have a load on it.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 05:05:47 -0700 (PDT), John G

A feed through installation would allow a downcircuit load to pull through the GFCI and an internal failure in the GFCI could cause this.
--
Mr.E

That's true too and one more possibility. Maybe it was not the GFI at all, but a mouse chewed tthe wires real close to that box.