GFI and Flourscent Light

I have a 4' fluorescent light that will not work when on a GFI circuit. It works fine on a non GFI circuit. The light has one of those small electronic ballasts that is about 2" and 4" at the end of the Light. When it trys to turn on the lights flicker and then the GFI buzzes and trips. Is this one of those items that just will not work on a GFI or do you think that something is wrong with it and that it should not be used on a regular non GFI circuit. R

Reply to
Roanin

Since it's probably on the ceiling, I wouldn't use a GFI. What are the odds someone will get shocked? Near zero?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But if he does continue to use it he should make sure it's properly grounded. That way if there is some fault it won't kill someone.

Reply to
trader4

I agree. I've not experienced abnormal GFI tripping when electronic fluorescent ballasts are connected to them and I do it frequently. If the GFI is working properly, then there's likely a low-impedance-to-ground fault in the ballast.

For safety, don't touch the ballast unless it's properly grounded.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

This is a very bizarre problem. Never heard of such a thing. Try it on another GFCI outlet. If it dont work on that one, I'd say your ballast is toast. There just is no other explanation.

Of course you should confirm you have proper voltage at these outlets.

110 to 120 is normal.
Reply to
tangerine3

I'd vote for some problem with the ballast, probably not grounded properly. Does the wire for the fixture have 3 wires or only 2 wires?

Reply to
hrhofmann

The gnd for the flr. lite needs to be solid; it might be the reason for tripping the gfci if it's not. In this case the gfci shoujld also have the earth gnd connected to it. The need is to preven t back-EMFs which will trip the gfci.

Reply to
Twayne

~108 to 135 V is the grid spec, depending on where you live you'll see it between those levels.

Reply to
Twayne