GFCI outlet lifespan?

G.F. has an outlet in the bathroom that trips frequently when she uses her little desktop fan on the counter. Normally happens when powering it on or off, not while running. Are those GFI outlets rated for a small number of trips before they fail, or could she just keep resetting it indefinitely? Was thinking about swapping it for a non-GFI.
Yes I know she could get a different fan. Yes I know GFIs are required in bathrooms. My question is only about the typical "number of cycles" life of the outlet.
On 7/27/2011 12:50 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

GFCIs have contacts like any switch. If you were tripping on a 15A electric heater you might eventually degrade the contacts. Contacts should last about forever on a small fan.
I agree with RBM that the GFCI is probably flaky.
--
bud--

Bingo!
I have the same problem with a two wire plastic fan......trips various GFI's when turning off or changing speeds. But not all GFI's...its the fan not the GFI.
cheers Bob

Tripping cleans the contacts, which is good. More related to age, that's why you test them.
Greg