GFCI not made in China

I went to Home Depot to look for a GFCI and all they had were Levitons made in China. Then I went to Lowe's and all they had were Coopers made in China. Does anyone know of a GFCI not made in China?

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

Try Madeinusa.org or google GFCI made in usa, there is one and maybe only one.

Reply to
ransley

Just cause they are made in China does not mean they are no good. Leviton has to protect itself against lawsuits too.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

An old one

Reply to
gfretwell

I understand your frustration. I got a Leviton from HD, went to the trouble of installing it in a tough location, only to have it malfunction although it was installed correctly. It would trip the instant any plug started to push in. At least Leviton customer service verified that it was their problem and that it likely affected multiple devices (so I knew not to "try again" at the Home Depot).

I had to go to an out-of-the-way, smaller hardware store to find a more expensive brand that worked properly, but it may be made in China, too.

Reply to
mike

It's all supposed to meet the specs no mater where it's made. I work in the service industry and all of my fellow service people are having a heck of a time replacing Chinese made capacitors in refrigeration and HVAC equipment. American made capacitors are superior but cost twice as much and none of the local supply houses stock them. They can't compete if the only caps they stocked were of American manufacture.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Which is not the same as saying Levitrons are good, because they suck, IMNSHO.

Reply to
Joe

They'd have my business!!

I'm not sure I like American politics any better than Chinese, but their products (what remain) are "generally" worth the difference in price.

Reply to
clare

Well you are in luck. We are making Democratic products now so they are politically safe to buy. If you bought a few thousand capacitors it might help our economy recover from the $40,000, Canadian made Lincoln my wife just bought. That's a lot of loonies eh? ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

How about a Mexican made Dodge Pickup?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This joke is best told orally:

Q: Do you know the difference between a teacup and a peecup?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 8/13/2009 10:39 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Seems as good a place as any to throw in a random groaner, from my late dad:

Eat every bean and pea on your plate.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Confusion say: Man who cook beans and peas in same pot, very unsanitary.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Made Where

First three numbers in bar code tells where it is made

00-09 USA/Canada

30-37 France

40-44 Germany

47 Taiwan

49 Japan

50 UK

690-692 China
Reply to
JP

No, actually it is man who cook beans and pees in same pot is very unsanitary.

Sounds the same.

Reply to
clare

I don't believe this to be true. The beginning digits of a bar code do pertain to the manufacturer, but I'm sure all Leviton UPC's start with the same digits, regardless of the country of origin. Oddly enough, some of the ordinary receptacles are still made in USA, but all of the GFCI's are Chinese, which I find rather puzzling. I'm sure if I went back to the store and looked at the UPC's, they would all start with the same digits.

"JP" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@i8g2000pro.googlegroups.com... On Aug 12, 6:53 pm, "Andrew M. Saucci, Jr." wrote:

Made Where

First three numbers in bar code tells where it is made

00-09 USA/Canada

30-37 France

40-44 Germany

47 Taiwan

49 Japan

50 UK

690-692 China
Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

for whatever it's worth:

Joe

I should have known I could count on Snopes to debunk that one.

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

It’s not a matter of quality. I don’t want my $ going to China

Reply to
Stroller