getting ready to tile the bathroom

nice idea!
Just seen on tv Homes had to use a hammer to remove a crapper cause some asshole tiled against the base of one.

Like everyone else said, start the job by removing everything on the floor except the tub. That includes the toilet. Unscrew the toilet flange and see if you have enough slack to raise it about 3/4" above the floor. If you do good. Otherwise you will need a flange extender. Cover the floor with 1/2" backer board. Use as big a pieces as you can. Motar it down and screw it every 6 to 8 inches in all directions. Let that dry for 24 hours without wandering aorund on it. If you are able to get the toilet flange to lift, run the backer board under it. When you tile try to get the tile under the flange as well if you can. Before the tile sets temporarily put the toilet down and make sur ethe toilet sits flat. I use a concrete/glass drill bit to drill holes for the flange screws. You just need holes through the tile, not the backer board.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:31:21 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc
in

excellent info! thanks

right now it's vinyl flooring on plywood..

yep...looks like that's the future...

I finaly had to replace a 40 yr old toilet at cottage. Big crack developed in tank. I really dreaded doing this as I had never done befor. Old toilet came up easy, bolts were rusted & they fell off. I cleaned flange, stuck a wax ring on new toilet & dropped it back on. It was so easy I just replaced a toilet at house.This was a bit harder because I had to cut bolts but after that it was easy also. This summer I'm going to tile cottage bathroom floor. I'm beginning to feel like a pro pulling & replacing toilets.
Bob

A Dremmel rotary tool with a cut-off wheel works great for cutting brass bolts. If toilet bolts have been there for more than a few years I don't even try getting them off with a wrench anymore.
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:25:44 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

the big problem i had with my basement toilet was it was elevated about 1/2 inch above the floor with no shims. this cracked the closet bolt holes and i couldnt get a repair flange to fit under the flange on the concrete floor.