Getting dried latex paint out of housebrush bristles?

Page 2 of 2
FACE wrote:

Sorry, I might have missed some of the earlier thread that indicated you were painting only a short time each day. Personally, I couldn't stand it painting a little each day forever. I want to get it done and over with. Now, my doors take forever since I can only do two or three on one side each day because of space and other considerations (like I want a bathroom with a door). :)
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 03:20:57 GMT, in alt.home.repair "George E. Cawthon"

No problem, George.
I had not mentioned the why of any of it because i did not think it was really relevant to getting dried paint out of the brush.
FACE

strength or

I use it full strength for overnight soaking (after turning the brush upside down and massaging the solvent into the ferrule to deg to the paint that has gotten that far) then clean with warm water and repaeat till i get the flexibility that I want. The citrus cleaners are still solvents so you might want to use a waterproof glove. I didn't and did not suffer any skin problems. Now, as to my liver - who the heck knows. Pat
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:13:13 -0700, in alt.home.repair "patrick mitchel"

Thanks. The Zep was actually the more inexpensive available. The previous housewash I was using said on the label on some types of surfaces to rinse immediately to prevent etching and that sent me a big flag that said ACID. The Zep does not say that on the label and has similar dilution instructions for various jobs but I called the 800 number to the manufacturer inquiring as to whether I could mix hypochlorite(clorox) with it and they told me no that it was acidic. The Zep I have gives a 64:1 dilution for pressure washing, down to 10:1 for intense cleaning jobs. I will be using it at 28:1 and applying with a scrub brush and letting it dry -- I consider that the old paint in the sun-baked front has enough oxidation to take into consideration. The color is Blue Slate but it is a lot lighter than it originally was.
I will first try the white vinegar treatment and if no joy will go to the Zep at full strength.
FACE
FACE wrote:

Try a wire brush.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

of
dry
with
Soak in Lacquer thinner overnight ( they do sell a brush cleaner) then comb with a wire brush. After all that work their never the same they just plain wear out that's why I have crapy brushes and good brushes. If I am painting for along period I will stop and clean my brush a couple times during painting. When I'm done I always comb the brushes. They just don't last forever.
FACE wrote:

You may get some of the gunk out with dish washing detergent and hot water (soak), then try to spread a few bristles at a time and scrape with your fingernail (works for me :o). To keep a brush overnight, wrap in foil and put in the freezer.
FACE Wrote:

The active ingredient in OOPS is Xylene, it cheaper to buy a quart a Home Depot, etc. than OOPS. It will dissolve latex paint and not har the brush
-- gsjmia
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:13:53 +0100, in alt.home.repair gsjmia

Thanks. I am not familiar with OOPS. First thing i though of was Goof-off, but besides being over expensive relative to the brush, i figured it would melt the bristles. I will look into OOPS.
FACE