Getting birds out of attic

I just found out that birds have made a home in my attic by comming through an uncovered soffit vernt. Covering the vent is no problem, But I want to do it with the birds out of the attic. Any ideas on how to get the birds out? It is too small for me to walk through.
Not to be comical...but you could put a cat scent or cat stuffed animal or maybe disturbing music??? I would call the Wild Life Department. I am sure they would be able to help you. Good Luck!!! ..Mindy

Mothballs, noise-generators, smoke, or someone's pet weasel.

I had a similar problem with owls many years ago. I set up a couple of bright lights in the attic for about two weeks. The constant "daylight" discouraged them. Before I closed up the large vent that they had ripped open, I set up a clagston (sp) horn from my junk box and made a lot of noise for a bout an hour. When I checked, they had left the building.
I promptly put up 2x4 wire covered with 1/2" mesh and finally regular window screening over the vent. It took a lot of work to remove the nest.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Loud music of the brown skinned ethnic version.
Anything that give you visions of fellows with gold chains, 9mm pistols, and crack pipes.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

WTF?
Sounded pretty clear to me, no I'm saying?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Senin wrote:

It's spring and time for baby birds.
Birds (generally) only live near a nest when they have chicks.
Later this summer, after the little ones have gone to make a life and family of their own, close up the hole.

I agree. Do you really want to kill the babies? They are unlikely doing any damage. Just leave them until they leave, then close the hole. What kind of birds are they? Your local humane society will sometimes help, but if there are babies, they will tell you the same thing I just did. I worked for a humane society for years.
On the other hand, if they really are bothering you, and you can get to the nest and prove there are no babies yet, open a window (if there is one), and chase them toward it with a fishing net or an old shirt, towel, etc attached to a stick. (Dont hit them, just chase them).
Mark

I'd move. Alfred Hitchcock notwithstanding.
pressure washer

You can construct a one-way door out of 1/2 inch galv. hardware cloth, making a funnel shaped cone, with wires extending from the narrow end, that would point outwards from the soffit. This allows birds to leave, but they cannot re-enter. You can get some idea of how to make it from pics of wire bird traps shown on Tomahawk Trap Company website - google for it. Be sure to wait till the babies are out, and the birds may leave on their own at that time anyway.... I've used similar construction, using fine screen, to eliminate wasps living inside our house walls.

Fire and lots of it?
:)
Seriously, get profession to setup a 1-way door and chase them out.
hth,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Great, when do the little birds leave the nest.?
About age 25, and two babies.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus