Genie Screw drive garage door opener

I bought a new Genie screw drive garage door opener last summer and installed it with my friend's help. It was working fine until a few days back it would come all the way down until the LED sensors and then would go back up. When the door reaches the LED level, the LEDs would blick a few times and then the door would go back up. I have tried adjusting the limit switch positions and the "open" and "close" screw on the panel head. I have also checked the levels of the LED alingment and also cleaned the LED lens with no luck. One thing I notice is that when the door is closing and if I try to hold the door manually with my hand to check the pressure, the door does not stop. It goes all the way until the LED level and then goes back up. I have also checked the wiring for the LED. Any idea where the problem is???
kalyanaraman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My guess is the door, or something on the door is breaking the light beam. Is there maybe a loose tag or string or something? It is also possible that the sensors are vibrating and if track mounted the track may be twisting as it gets to that point.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joe,
I did get a new sensor and it did not fix the problem. I will check for any vibration in the mount as you suggested. Ravi

kalyanaraman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Stray sunlight, shadow interfering with the sensor?
I changed the red one to green with no luck. Do you need direct sunlight? How does it work during the night? Let me know.

kalyanaraman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That beam of light emitted is usually Infra-red. Usually invisible. You can measure the output of sensor with digital multimeter blocking and unblocking the beam of light. You should notice different meter reading between two. My opener is also Genie screw driver but this was installed before the days of mandatory beam sensor.
I understand that it works as an IR detector, but how can a new one not work. Also, it was working during the time it was installed and for 4 months..only stopped a few days back..does these detector don't work properly during winter times?

kalyanaraman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Weather should not bother. But is's known stray sun light can interfere with such a set up. Wonder if they are out of alignment. Also they seldon go bad. I have an IR detector card which I got from an electronics parts store. If the card faces the emitter, it produces a well visible red dot. Think it is some kind of chemical coating on the card which detects the presence of IR beam. Very handy gadget. You ought to have at least a multimeter to work on this kinda stuffs. I am at little advantage being a retired EE(digital systems).
kalyanaraman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What he meant is "is sunlight blinding the sensor?" This can happen when the sun is shining directly into one of the two sensors - they don't have enough power to overcome the brightness of the Sun.
Also, the two sensors are not the same though they may look the same. One is a transmitter and the other is a receiver. Did you happen to install two of the same kind? If so, that will cause a problem.
I did install one that is red and other green. They are brand new ones..I am a chemist and I am aware of multimeters and also the IR card (actually, I used one of these in my grad. school)..I can't believe we have to go throu so much to get this fixed..Well, I have tried pretty much everything now..thanks for all of your suggestions..I learned some here..now it is time to call GENIE:)

I finally fixed it..The problem was that the wire that connects the sensor got twisted in the rod that moves the garage door. It got pinched right at the spot when the door reaches the sensor and the connection got lost. Hope this helps others..Thanks to all..