Genie Garage Door Opener Won't Turn Off Lights

When activated, my Genie garage door opener should turn on the lights in the powerhead and turn them off after 20 seconds or so.
Several days ago it started NOT to turn off lights and I had to push the light on/off button on the wall console to manually turn them off. Today, even pushing the button didn't turn off the lights.
The opener works well. It just doesn't turn off the lights. Is this a problem of the wall console or the powerhead? Thanks.
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:02:02 -0500, KlausK wrote:

The powerhead as you call it is responsible for the light(s).

Probably burned points on the relay. Clean with some electrical contact cleaner.

I've found that when the weather is warm, the opener turns off the lights. Where is the relay? In the powerhead?

yes. A relay is basically an electromagnetic switch. A coil is energized producing a magnetic field which then pulls a switch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

I have the exact same problem, light stays on indefinitely, not just 5 minutes (mines been on for days now). Killing power for hours did not reset it. A clicking sound comes from the unit when I move the light switch up and down, so it's trying to do something. I don't see a part that looks like it could be cleaned with contact cleaner. it almost seems like the "relay" is a sealed part that is attached to the circuit board. Any help is appreciated.

You should use a contact cleaner that actually improves the connection. Try DeoxIT on the points, switches and connections. It chemically improves metal conductivity. It is amazing stuff. www.deoxit.com Mike
The genie light stays on for 5 minutes.