Genie Garage Door Opener Won't Turn Off Lights

When activated, my Genie garage door opener should turn on the lights in the powerhead and turn them off after 20 seconds or so.

Several days ago it started NOT to turn off lights and I had to push the light on/off button on the wall console to manually turn them off. Today, even pushing the button didn't turn off the lights.

The opener works well. It just doesn't turn off the lights. Is this a problem of the wall console or the powerhead? Thanks.

Reply to
KlausK

The powerhead as you call it is responsible for the light(s).

Reply to
Meat Plow

Probably burned points on the relay. Clean with some electrical contact cleaner.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I've found that when the weather is warm, the opener turns off the lights. Where is the relay? In the powerhead?

Reply to
KlausK

The genie light stays on for 5 minutes.

Steve Barker

You should use a contact cleaner that actually improves the connection. Try DeoxIT on the points, switches and connections. It chemically improves metal conductivity. It is amazing stuff.

Mike

Reply to
shaq

yes. A relay is basically an electromagnetic switch. A coil is energized producing a magnetic field which then pulls a switch.

AZ Nomad

I have the exact same problem, light stays on indefinitely, not just 5 minutes (mines been on for days now). Killing power for hours did not reset it. A clicking sound comes from the unit when I move the light switch up and down, so it's trying to do something. I don't see a part that looks like it could be cleaned with contact cleaner. it almost seems like the "relay" is a sealed part that is attached to the circuit board. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
mhubbard58

The opener works well. It just doesn't turn off the lights. Is this a problem of the wall console or the powerhead? Thanks.

Reply to
Theresa Bartock

replying to mhubbard58, Twidget wrote: The relay is sealed, contacts inside are probably carboned up. Tapping on relay could cause them to open turning off the lights. If not, fix is to replace relay on board or buy another board.

Reply to
Twidget

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

What about the gerbils???

Reply to
Tekkie®

The sun never shines where he keeps his gerbils.

Reply to
gfretwell

age door wasn't working that he sold his home and all his property then mov ed to Africa to live in a grass hut. He's much less frustrated now except f or the Lions that keep trying to eat him. o_O

Good one, thanks.

Reply to
Tekkie®