GE Washer spin cycle noise

Clanking sound for about two seconds during the start of spin cycle - noise stops when basket is "up to speed". Noise sounds like someone running a tire iron across a "metal picket fence". Could the centrifugal clutch be defective? Model WWA8340GAL. THANKS for any insight.

Bearing going bad.....
snipped-for-privacy@dorsai.org (jimleong) wrote in message

Hi,
GE older style metal basket washer.

Since we cannot hear the noise over a forum we will be kinda guessing....
- brake inside the transmission not releasing properly would be first on my list.

Sure, but it usually makes a shreek/grinding noises that normally doesn't go away when it is worn.
Probably need to pull the washer out, remove the back panal and with a flashlight watch a load go through to see if you can get an idea where the noise is comming from.