GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

You can buy any one of several popular combo units that will dub back and forth. I own a Sony RDR-VX 525 that has one touch dubbing both ways and works very well.

Reply to
A. Baum

Apparently, not everyone shares your enthusiasm:

Myself, I wouldn't give you 5 cents for a Sony CD/DVD product. The last one I bought was junk! Cost $250 and didn't even work as well or have as many features as my SILs $50 Walmart Emerson model. At one point I got so pissed at its crappy performance, I tossed out my 2nd story window and watched it explode into a thousand pieces on my concrete driveway. It was the ONLY time it ever did what it was supposed to do. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I wouldn't want your 5 cents, that would leave you broke.

Reply to
A. Baum

I still haven't forgiven Sony for the virus.. er "CD Copy Protection program" that instituted a few years ago.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Gads! The horror! I've been publicly trounced. My ego crushed, my self esteem in shambles. I'll never reach my life goals, no matter how hard I try. My life is OVER!!

....as if.

(try again, kid, after you've been weaned)

nb

Reply to
notbob

No need to thank me. You'll catch up with the adults one day, kid.

Reply to
A. Baum

I can't imagine a business that would admit to copyright violations.

...of unprotected media.

Reply to
krw

For a library, converting to digital might make sense (and they have ways to do it legally). For an individual, converting precious family records might make sense. But for an individual, converting old movies they may watch once a year when they are bored, makes no sense. If somebody doesn't still have a working VCR in the stack, they are available at thrift stores for five bucks. As I mentioned in a previous post, tapes can be had at garage sales (and thrift stores) etc, quite cheaply. Most libraries also have extensive VHS libraries, most of which will never get updated to DVD because they are old releases. If you have kids, old tapes and a VCR can be real cheap entertainment on rainy weekends, snow days, etc.

Reply to
aemeijers

We have a DVDR (hard disk recorder w/ DVD writer). It won't copy factory written tapes. That was the reason we bought a VCR a couple of years ago. No kids in the house (or grand-kids, yet). My wife has a small set of old movies she likes to watch, though. Some of them were only released to tape once and never to DVD.

Reply to
krw