GE Profile Washing machine problem...

Hi Group, Not sure this is the right group for this question, if it isn't please point me in the right direction.

I purchased the above-mentioned washing machine approximately 6 years ago. I've had no problems with it until today. It was in the middle of a wash cycle when there was a loud bang that sounded like something heavy fell in the laundry room.

I opened the lid to the washer and it was still agitating, but the center agitator was tilting way over to one side. The machine will still operate, but it's very noisy and that agitator is leaning badly, so I turned off the machine.

Any idea what the problem could be? Is this an expensive/difficult fix?

Is it time to buy a new front loading machine? ;))

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

"Brigitte" wrote

Yes, if that's what you really want.

$329, it's all you need.

Reply to
Ed

Hi,

Not a model# !

model# helps.

The whole tubs are leaning to one side?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I don't know where to find the model #...

Yes, the whole tub is leaning to one side.

Reply to
Brigitte

$329, it's all you need.

That's a top-loading machine, but thanks :)

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

That is what this was for... LINK>

model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I looked at the link, but I'm unable to pull the washing machine out from the closet it's in, so I can't view the model#.

Thanks, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

After looking at the link you provided, my uneducated guess would be that there's a problem with the rod/spring assemblies. The way the washing machine tub seemed to fall to one side, and will operate normally if I hold the basket and agitator upright.

I hope I'm right, as it seems this could be a relatively simple fix. On Saturday I'll disassemble the machine and see if it's as easy as I imagine.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Hi,

If you have one of the newer plastic tub GE washers, it may be one of the 4 suspension rods/shocks has come apart or fallen off.

helps.

Rod & spring assembly, front

Suspension rod and spring assembly, black

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks Jeff...

I finally had a chance to disassembe the washing machine down as far as I needed, and discovered that it was the rod and spring assembly, part number

278885. I ordered it today from the repair clinic and hope to have it assembled and in working order by the weekend.

Thank you so much for your advice and links.

A female friend of mine, who is also "single" was so impressed with me diagnosing and my probable ability to fix this problem, has asked me to repair her dishwasher.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy, but how much damage can I do... :)

Thanks again, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Thankx for the update!

Good luck with the repair(s) ;-)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Part received and replaced.

I wonder how much money I saved myself...hmmmm

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Glad you got it all done! :)