GE magnetron removal from microwave

Hello:
I am wondering if anyone can provide instructions on removing a magnetron from a GE 'over the range' Spacesaver microwave (model JVM1631WB).
I am able to remove the control panel and drain the capacitor, however, I am not certain of the best way to gain access to the magnetron, which I assume is located behind the main cooling fan.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The first thing I would do is google the model number and see if it is one of the spacesavers that turn themselves on and catch fire. Second, a new magnatron will cost close to 200.00 and from the reports I've read it may not last any longer than the previous one. Try "GE microwave + fire" on google and you will find a site that lists the model numbers for the fire hazard models as well as the magnetron failure reports. Good Luck
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Chris wrote:

Sorry, can't help with the removal process, but putting a new magnetron in it won't fix the design issue with the power supply. Hope you have a source of low cost tubes.
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Microwaves-GE_Over_the_Range_Microwave_Oven_JVM1631BB_WB/display_~reviews
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hi,
Somehting here may help....
http://p204.ezboard.com/fmikemerrittmotorsfrm13.showMessage?topicID '4.topic
jeff. Appliance Repair aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jeff wrote:

Jeff - Just read the link. I'm really impressed with the work you put into helping a fellow 'netizen with repairing his microwave.
Just thought I'd say 'thank you' for taking the time to help us all out.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

G'day,
Yes.
Yes.
*Some* of these had an extended warranty, might be a good idea to call GE to find out, have your full model# and serial# ready... http://www.applianceaid.com/phone.html#phone
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff:
One last thing regarding discharging the capacitor - it looks like the wires run straight into these 2 black boots located on the bottom of the capacitor.
Do I simply remove these boots to access the capacitor's contacts? Can you provide any more detail on discharging the capacitor?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

G'day,
We use needle nose pliers to discharge the cap if the wires are coated/covered....stick them in to the bottom of the cap, just need to touch both sides ( metal at the bottom where the wires are ) at the same time.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
* WARNING *
- STOP NOW -
Whatever you are trying to do, DO NOT DO IT !!! NEVER touch one of these things wiht your bare hands. They contain nuclear radiation, and should never be touched without special protection. Leave this job to the professionals who have the proper protective clothing and equipment.
Have you ever heard the phrase "Nuke your food". (referring to a microwave oven). This is how that term came to exist.
You DO NOT want to touch that Magnetron. Doing so could endanger your life. Call an appliance repair shop or the manufacturer.
Andy
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Either a misinformed person, or a troll.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The wife called GE over the weekend and the repair guy said it was the wave guide at fault. He said GE would be in contact with me in the next 48 hours to schedule to replace the unit, as the defect was under warranty.
Seemed odd to me, as the unit is 4 years old.
I looked up some info on these wave guides...tried cleaning the cover of the wave guide; the problem (buzzing) is still there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hi,
*Some* of the GE units had a problem with the wave stir blade sending some of the cooking power back towards the magnetron, which could damage the magnetron.
GE had/has a magnetron and stir blade kit to repair this.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N5437 Microwave kit.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in

Hmmm...GE called tonight and is bringing a new unit within 5 business days. I seriously didn't think wave guides were covered under warranty, Jeff!
The repair guy said replacing the magnetron/stir blade wouldn't help.
I am going to take the control panel off the old model in case a neighbor needs it, I've heard those things are about $200. We all have the same model in our subdivision.
Great post, Jeff. The wife didn't want me to get zapped by that capacitor. Guess its better to leave some things to the pros.
I sincerely thank you again for your assistance!
Chris
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Just put a screwdriver across the capacitor, (be sure the MW is unplugged first), listen for a snap, and you wont get zapped. Heck, when I was a kid, I used to charge a big capacitor and hand it to an unsuspecting friend for a gag. Think that's bad, my uncle made a chair with metal arm rests. Under the chair was a huge capacitor and flashlight battery. When someone sat in the chair there was a pressure switch that turned on the power. Then he'd say rest your arms on the arm rests, and ZAP !!! He got me when I was a little kid, as did he get every one of my cousins. Then all the kids would dare the other kids to do it again. A capacitor discharge will make you jump, but it's harmless, unless you got a pacemaker or something.
I suppose now-a-days that would be looked upon as child abuse or something, but back then we had a blast with that goofy chair. When I got older I asked my uncle how that thing was wired. He actually had two versions of it. One was just the capacitor, the other used a car ignition coil (much more zap). It's amazing how many of the adults sat in that thing too, after they had a few drinks. Never a dull moment when we had family holiday parties at his house!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
OK, bringing back the memories (but funny)
My old HS shop instructure had a wooden bench going around the classroom wall for everyone to do their book work on, metal chairs.
Well, one day he got tired of so many falling asleep in his class whil he was out in the shop with others.
We painted the top edge with conductive alumimum paint, a bolt from top on the strip of aluminumn paint to under the bench, then repainted the entire top with black paint.
Hooked a spark plug tester output lead to the bolt underneath, wired the AC imput through a switch under the instructures desk and also one out in the shop.
Once someone fell asleep, he would hit the button, never new someone could jump so high so quick. Was better when they got their legs all wrapped around the metal chair and could not get up quickly.
Had one guy though, electricity would not phase him at all. Would just hold on to the damn thing while you wlked in the dorr to shake his hand and would light you up!
All ended the day this guy did that to our vice principle coming in the room. Once he got over being pissed at first kind of laughed about it, but made us disconnect it anyway, Darn!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not even three phase?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

On current GE models, the magnetron is warranted for 10 years! Good for you huh?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.