GE hot water heater - strange noise

Hello,
A few months ago I re piped my house using wirsbo pex for water. As part of this re-piping I also re-fed the hot water heater using 6" sections of copper with unions and a copper to pex tee. The water then comes off the heater horizontally from this tee and goes to feed the house
Recentley I noticed a clicking noise coming from the water heater whenever I turn on the hot or cold water. The clicking volume is related to the speed at which I start or stop the water. If I shut the water fast it clicks loudly. The sound is coming from the entry and exit points for the water on the top of the unit. I did not sweat any of the connections while they were threaded on the unit (I know this can damage the di-electric fittings)
The water heater is a natural gas GE unit bought from Home Depot. Any thoughts or suggestions on what this is?
Thanks in advance
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's probably equipped with "heat trap" ball check valves.
See: http://www.dmme.virginia.gov/De/hbchap6.html (scroll down)
Jim